PDQ 32 diesel stop control.

Post here issues with diesel engines on PDQ yachts
pilgrim
deckhand
deckhand

PDQ 32 diesel stop control.

Post by pilgrim »

I own PDQ 32 LRC hull #20. The starboard engine shut down cable has always been hard to operate. At this point it is not usable because of internal friction (I think). By the end of last summer I had to disconnect the cable and operate the control arm on the engine by hand to shut down the engine. I am guessing that someone else has had the problem. Has anyone replaced the cable and if so what is the best procedure? It looks to me like a pretty difficult job. any info will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: PDQ 32 diesel stop control.

Post by SecondWind »

Having replaced these kinds of cables before, first of all DO NOT PULL THE OLD CABLE OUT. Attach a flexible feed wire to one end to be used to snake the new cable in place and the carefully remove the old one being careful not to lose the feed wire (depending on the tightness of the fit, you may be able to use the old cable as the feed wire if it isn't broken).
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
pilgrim
deckhand
deckhand

Post by pilgrim »

SecondWind, thanks for your prompt reply. The thing I am most concerned about is that the bundle runs through a tube or tunnel between the hulls and it does not look like there is much room. Can you give me your opinion on the following alternatives?
1. Leave the old one in place and use a electricians snake to pull the new cable through and just connect the new and disconnect the old at each end?

2.Run a new shorter cable from the starboard engine to the steering console and mount the control knob near the helm? I think it might be 4 feet shorter. I don,t have any prior experience with the control cables so is that feasible or are there problems that I am not realizing?

3. Follow your original comments and do it the traditional way!
Thanks for your time. I am trying to get this planned and parts bought to get a good start early spring.
Bob
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

The space is probably tight and leaving the old one in place will probably not be an option. Extra length will not be a real problem, but you definitely do no want to come up 6 inches short. You can use a plumbers snake, but you already have a similar item (the old cable in place). I replaced 8 throttle and shift cables on 2 levels in our boat, and used the method I described.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
pilgrim
deckhand
deckhand

Post by pilgrim »

Thanks SecondWind for your time and expertise. I will give this a try in May or earlier if the weather cooperates. I will let you know how things turn out.
Bob