Refinishing Salon Table

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Refinishing Salon Table

Post by John&Ria »

After 15 years of use our salon table has acquired a variety of nicks and bumps, along with serious fading due to sun exposure. For this reason we have decided to have the table refinished. In order to get a decent match with the other woodwork our professional refinisher has asked what stain (if any) was used, and most importantly what type of finishing coat was applied.

I see from previous posts that the cherry woodwork was not stained, and that Flecto Varathane (satin finish) was commonly used for the finish coat. If anyone knows - James? - I would like to confirm the process used for the late model powercats, including whether the finishing coat was sprayed or applied by brush.

Thanks for any information or advice that can be offered.

John
Attachments
20210916_114256_001.jpg

James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Refinishing Salon Table

Post by James Power »

John,

As mentioned the cherry was not stained. There were a few different sub contractors that applied the finish to the woodwork over the years. Not sure what products they used but I would guess possibly a lacquer, and it looks like it was sprayed. Some of the boats received the finish that you have that unfortunately fades from the U.V. rays. Sorry I could not be of more help.

James

John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Thanks very much for responding James, and no worries, that's still useful information for me to share with my refinisher.

Hope all is well.....

duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

fwiw, we have a 2003 and after 16 years in the tropics the uv degradation has been dramatic. our table has hinged sides which fold inward. unfortunately, the sides leave a 2" gap which has left a 2" "white" stripe down the center of the table as well as "white" bottoms of the folded sides.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23

John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

John, I'm not surprised there are others with a similar situation to ours. I'll be getting the table top refinished within the next couple of weeks, and will post pictures of the outcome. Hopefully we can get a result that is close to the original, or at least have a colour that is consistent across the top.

thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

For this reason, and to ...
* Keep bird bombs off
* Reduce AC load and warmer in the winter
* Protect the plexi from UV

... we nearly always kept the windows covered from the outside. Also covers on the hatches after this was taken. Makes a huge difference on fading. None.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-anzjg4yDnAQ/U ... ow+res.jpg
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html