steerage problem

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
toddting
deckhand
deckhand

steerage problem

Post by toddting »

I own a pdq 32 altair, hull number 34 i believe. The boat seems to want to turn up into the wind, particularly when
wind begins to build. It happens both to port and starboard, and has become a serious problem. I've considered adding a bowsprit to bring more
balance to the sail plan. As any altair 32 owner knows the genoa that comes from the factory is more like a storm sail, or a large beach towel.
Any suggestions. This is my first posting on this site and am looking forward to getting imput and sharing what I know.
thanks, Todd Wilson
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: steerage problem

Post by amytom »

I've noticed the same with mine (hull #9) I've also thought (dreamed) of adding a bowsprit and a screecher but the to do list has had other things with higher priority. One drawback is the loss of the "self tending" of the jib. I would also have to add another winch on the port side as I only have the one on the stbd side with all lines running to it. Maybe just running a full genoa (with installing the other winch) might work too.
Let us all know what you find.

Tom
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

I have not had any trouble keeping my boat balanced ( #43 - with tall rig ). If the boat wants to turn into the wind it would normally suggest you have the traveller too close to center.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

you may also want to experiment with taking rake out of mast. try tightening forstay and easing backstays. this will move the center of effort forward and may reduce weather helm.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
halfmoon
1st mate
1st mate

Post by halfmoon »

Much is made of adjusting center of effort, but an alternative theory is the torque moment about the mast and forestay which "twists" the boat into the wind. I used to sail an Islander 30 (fin keel) and found that it would round up to windward under headsail alone. The center of effort was far ahead of the center of resistance and I was surprised to find the boat heading up under strong gusts. I don't disagree with the previous suggestions, but consider the torque theory.
Alex Kehayes
Alex Kehayes
Edenton, NC
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

Perhaps I misunderstand, but I think the "Torque Theory" relies on the the heeling of the boat to put the driving force off to the side of the resistance. Without heeling, it comes down to Center of Effort relative to Center of Lateral Resistance.
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Todd,

Allezcat 36010 has weather helm sailing under full sail or jib alone. I never could figure out why.

Chet
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Chet: Is the weather helm the same on both tacks?
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
halfmoon
1st mate
1st mate

Post by halfmoon »

This is getting interesting. The three hull motions are roll, pitch and yaw. The torque force I'm referring to is not the force to create roll, but to produce yaw, turning the boat into the wind. Weather helm is considered a positive attribute as it depowers the sail by turning the boat into the wind. This may be more important for us since there is no heel from our PDQs to depower our sails.
Alex
Alex Kehayes
Edenton, NC
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

Alan,
Yes, the torque creates yaw. Consider a keel boat running downwind. If it rolls, the Center of Effort moves well out to the side, creating a torque which cause the boat to yaw in the opposite direction. The worst case is when there's a chute up which is swaying side to side, -> torque -> yaw -> roll -> chute collapses -> helmsman over-corrects -> cycle repeats on opposite side, Lots of fun! Fortunately I've never had this happen on a cat.

I tend to reef early and often, so I don't usually get overpowered, but on a cat if there's room, I'd rather bear off than head up.
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
toddting
deckhand
deckhand

Post by toddting »

doubledutch wrote:I have not had any trouble keeping my boat balanced ( #43 - with tall rig ). If the boat wants to turn into the wind it would normally suggest you have the traveller too close to center.
I will try fussing with the traveller, but it seems she pulls to wind no matter whether i let out sail or sail close. Im starting to think the mast
is just too much more force than the jib. Im working up a bowsprint system now.
toddting
deckhand
deckhand

Post by toddting »

Loki wrote:Alan,
Yes, the torque creates yaw. Consider a keel boat running downwind. If it rolls, the Center of Effort moves well out to the side, creating a torque which cause the boat to yaw in the opposite direction. The worst case is when there's a chute up which is swaying side to side, -> torque -> yaw -> roll -> chute collapses -> helmsman over-corrects -> cycle repeats on opposite side, Lots of fun! Fortunately I've never had this happen on a cat.

I tend to reef early and often, so I don't usually get overpowered, but on a cat if there's room, I'd rather bear off than head up.
I wish she would bear off, its a mind of its own!
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

do you have weather helm under jib alone? if not, i would then start trimming the main to find the point where weather helm kicks in. once you find that point, it will determine what your options are.

also, is it in all wind strengths?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Reply to Sandy D.,

Yes Sandy, I have weather helm on both tacks.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

I guess that rules out a bent rudder shaft, Chet.

HEY, I just made Admiral! Mother will be so pleased....
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026