Nearly DONE

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Nearly DONE

Post by Page 83 »

My two year, massive electronics makeover is coming to a close. After pulling three more cables and a small punch list, I'll have only a huge mess to clean up and IT'S DONE. Already everything works, better than planned. It wouldn't have happened had I not met my secret weapon, an absolute Wizard named Jose' Olivier, one of the most interesting people around. But I'm not giving anyone his number until I get the final blessing!

My original goals were:
Radar, XM Weather, DSC position calls and AIS targets superimposed on a chartplotter at the helm and echoed at the nav table.
Autopilot control from a PC, either chart plotter, and conventional control head at the helm.
DSC group and single vessel calling from helm and nav table.
Navigation planning at home, at the nav table and at the helm.
The ability to shut down all unnecessary electronics when not in use.
Redundancy and circuit isolation in as many vital functions as possible, such that no single point failure would compromise safe and convenient sailing.

As the project matured, I added more goals:
AIS transmission (ACR AIS-B).
Forward looking sonar (Interphase) for creeping into gunk holes and hidden coves, displayed on PC and both chartplotters
multiple source entertainment system (XM, CD, DVD, and Ipod)
night vision (at a strictly toy level)
NMEA 2000 integration, to include:
Fuel flow monitoring (Lowrance LMF-200) for range calculations at various power settings
Ultrasonic wind sensor (Airmar PB-200) for a long list of features
Internet connectivity

This is a totally impractical hobby project, for my personal entertainment, with no pretense of necessity or nautical need. Strictly a paean to the adage "he who sinks with the most toys wins."

Jose' says this is the most sophisticated electronics system on a sailboat in the Bay, but I think he's just playing on my emotions!

(and he managed to pull almost everything through a single, already bulging cable chase!)
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Nearly DONE

Post by amytom »

Very impressive. Is this Cray super sailboat insured against the other active topic: lightning.

Also curious how well the DSC to chartplotter works out. I have mine connected but so far only have GPS info the VHF. I would like to view position requests on the chartplotter also. Or is this redundant with AIS?
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Short answer: DSC is the polite way to ask for someone else's position. You can set your radio to respond to someone else asking you if you want to talk, or where you are.

AIS is very much like an airplane transponder, it continuously broadcasts your position and other information. Until recently, only big ships were required to have one, and many smaller boats only listened to (and plotted) those positions. Now AIS B is approved for all vessels, and most of those sold can be set to transmit or just listen.

DSC position reporting requires two-way connections between the radio and the GPS. Many older radios did not have this feature, but today even some of the least expensive VHFs (including those with the cheaper SC-101 cert.) can send and plot position requests.

There are a lot more techie considerations to do before making a decision to buy a new radio or Chartplotter, but thats it in a nut shell!
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

As a toy-lover, I must say how impressive all of this sounds. On the other hand, the older I get, the more stuff I'm pulling off of my boat. Here's the caveat to "He who dies with the most toys wins"... "He with the most toys dies from all the maintenance!" :lol:

Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

You are not wrong, Ed! If there's a next boat for me, it might be a Maine Cat 30 with only a small gps and XM weather.
PDQ-Dave
skipper
skipper

Post by PDQ-Dave »

Sandy,

When are you going to add some buoyancy to your PDQ to hold up all those new copper and tin toys? It seems since this project is done you'll be needing another? The fabricator up in CT can still provide hull extensions if you are interested. It's the cheapest way to satisfy threefootitus. I know first hand!

Looks like we have sold our PDQ 36/39. Why did we sell? Although, we'd just fit out the PDQ and have really enjoyed her the last year and a half sailing from New England to Guatemala and back to Florida. We fell face first on to a deal on a Chris White A-42 that we couldn't pass up... another acute case of threefootitus cured.
Dave Kane
Previous owner of Pacifica #36068
http://www.DKsail.com
http://www.PDQ36.blogspot.com
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Congratulations TWICE, Dave! An Atlantic 42? Wow! And be sure to introduce your buyer to us!

You are a thorough and conscientious blogger, and I will continue to watch your adventures.