12v \ 24v System Question - for dockside engineers

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

12v \ 24v System Question - for dockside engineers

Post by maxicrom »

When I installed the Torqeedo 2.0 system I was really pressed for time in the yard so I opted to go with a separate 24v circuit (2 Group 24 Marine \ RV batteries in series with a 24v charger). I only use the Torqeedo for docking and tight maneuvering, so my assumption was charging the batteries on an as needed basis would be fine and this has worked out OK so far. The ten minutes or so per outing the Torqeedo runs barely taps the 24v bank.

My question is regarding a way to charge my 24v bank from my main 12v charging circuit. The 24v charger I purchased is isolated and capable of charging two 12v circuits or a 24v circuit @ 12A (looks like there are diodes in the cables - http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-cha ... proX2.html). The little charger works great but in the future I'd like to go to install a good inverter/charger system and have a single 12v charging circuit. I think I have the concept but not all of the electrical theory on how to deploy it. This little charger seems to handle it without any problems - my ideas all involve relays and my gut says there is a simpler way.

My STBD battery cockpit box handles 4 Group 24 batteries (2 house and 2 for the Torqeedo circuit) I have a single Group 24 in the port box for starting the Yanmar diesel. It would be nice to be able to use the Torqeedo batteries for the house, and I'm sure that they will live longer with regular use and charging. Currently, I run a charge cycle on them about once a month or before we take the boat out. Our PDQ is stern heavy so anything we can do to reduce weight will help - the STBD battery box basically odffset the Yanmar in the port hull .

Any ideas???

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max