Proper way to purge air

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
phild
skipper
skipper

Proper way to purge air

Post by phild »

In spite of best efforts to purge air from the fresh water system by simply running water through it for several minutes I cannot seem to purge air from the lines - the constant "spitting" from the fawcets is getting a tad annoying. Is there a proper way to purge air? Has anyone else encountered this problem? The lines appears to hold pressure without problem, I don't think it's the pump - what am I missing? Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

"There is more to sailing than ropes and winches, cleats and bulging sails. There are faraway places and the everchanging light, and the silence, and a great peace at the bottom of your soul." - Mate
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Proper way to purge air

Post by James Power »

Hey Phil, if the water tank is full and still spitting, it could be a leak on the suction side of the pump. Trace the supply line back to the tank checking all the fittings as you go. The plastic whale fittings need the tube pushed in a full 1 1/8 " to seal properly. The usual culprit is the elbow fitting at the tank pick up. James