Automatic Identification System - AIS

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Root
skipper
skipper

Automatic Identification System - AIS

Post by Root »

Everyone, I know most of you are aware of the AIS system and its benefits for navigation safety, avoiding collisions, and homeland security. However, did you ever wonder where in the world your relatives were on their cruise? Well, this site will allow you to do that too. Automated Identification System (AIS) information on ships worldwide: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Root
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Re: Automatic Identification System - AIS

Post by philiprmcgovern »

Root:

Very cool...thanks for sharing.

BTW, I consider my little $200.00 AIS receiver one of my better investments for the boat. So far, it only inputs to the notebook, but connecting it to the chartplotter is pretty high on my list. Best wishes.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

I too was very impressed with what the $200 SR 161 could do, and bought the ACR AIS B this year. Since I have Garmin Chart plotters it was a piece of cake to set up. I can now see an increasing number of AIS equipped vessels and track them well beyond the range of my radar, and know precisely how close a threat they pose. If anyone is interested, AIS is a frequent topic at my favorite techy site, www.panbo.com For the NMEA-phobics among us, Garmin is introducing a VHF radio that does DSC and AIS and just plugs into any recent Garmin Chartplotter. Its gonna be a boat unit or more. But you will be able to pick a target on the chartplotter and the radio will dial its mmsi number. It will be like clicking on someone's picture and being immediately connected to them on your phone.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Sandy:

I fiddled with the teeny-weeney little NEMA wires between the AIS receiver and the Garmin 545S for a few minutes but, so far, no joy.

Same deal when I tried to connect my new DSC Standard Horizon VHF and the chartplotter. I definitely qualify as a NEMA-phobic but can't spend a whole boat unit on another VHF just to get "plug and play."

When I get back to the boat in the fall I'll give it another shot, but I may well be begging you to help me get these wonderful devices to talk to one another. Meanwhile, I'll take a look at panbo.

Thanks.

Phil
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Drop me a note with the exact models and I'll give you the cookbook approach (if I can get to the manuals on line), along with a short shopping list of tools to do it the easy way. I promise its easy.
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Thanks, Sandy. I will definitely take advantage of your kind offer.

Phil
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

My AIS plotted a target 22.5 NM away last Saturday. My AIS antenna is 14' above the water.
ThomKat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by ThomKat »

Have gotten targets on AIS from over 220 mi. - no doubt with a little help from atmospheric skip.

Tom
Tom Walker
ThomKat - MV3475
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No Schedule & Sticking To It