A/C Refridgerant Charging ?

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
duetto
admiral
admiral

A/C Refridgerant Charging ?

Post by duetto »

hi all,

has anyone charged there A/C system? i've been told that it's as simple as going to walmart and getting one of their kits but others have said it's not that simple and that you need to get exactly the correct pressure.

advice welcome.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
NavyA4
deckhand
deckhand

Re: A/C Refridgerant Charging ?

Post by NavyA4 »

Hi John,
My aft A/C unit had been giving me problems, and I had eliminated all of the possible maintenance sources except for recharging the refrigerant. I had a local contractor in Annapolis look at it. The refrigerant pressure was low. Recharging the unit involved hoses and valves and gauges, and he was very precise in determining the right pressure. He also checked the large (and dangerous) electrical capacitors mounted in the control box on the side of the unit. He charged $100 for about an hour's work. I suspect that the unit can be serviced by owners more economically, but after watching him do his work, I'm not inclined to try it on my own. And cool air has returned!
Steve & Hedy Fagan
M/V Volare
Hull #100
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

steve,

thanks for the response. do you have his name & phone number? we'll be in annapolis in mid- oct.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
NavyA4
deckhand
deckhand

Post by NavyA4 »

Rob Argentieri, A and B Companies, W: 410-263-5836, C: 410-306-4337, robargentieri@earthlink.net
Steve & Hedy Fagan
M/V Volare
Hull #100