Masthead anchor light.

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
David West
deckhand
deckhand

Masthead anchor light.

Post by David West »

For the past few years my masthead anchor light has not worked but I have been content to use a plug-in light hoisted about ten feet above the Bimini top. This now does not satisfy the US Coast Guard regulations, despite being more suitable for the tight nooks that I usually anchor in. I now need to journey to the top of my mast, probably to replace the bulb, and one such trip would be better than two. Can any one tell me what size of bulb fitting was installed on a 1997 PDQ 36, and do they know if there is an LED that I could plug into the existing receptor? David West
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Re: Masthead anchor light - tag on question - deck light

Post by maxicrom »

David,

I wish I had an answer but am hoping that if you find a source they may also have a hint for the combo Deck/Steaming light - while our mast head light is operational the deck light has never worked - steaming light does (so there is some power to the fixture). Our's is a 1991 and like you I'd prefer to make a single trip up the mast. Is it worth trying to replace the bulb or would we be better served to go to a newer model combo light?

Good luck with the mast head light,

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Re: Masthead anchor light.

Post by Marc Gershel »

[quote="David West"]For the past few years my masthead anchor light has not worked but I have been content to use a plug-in light hoisted about ten feet above the Bimini top. This now does not satisfy the US Coast Guard regulations, despite being more suitable for the tight nooks that I usually anchor

Just curious, but why is that light not legal ? I use a Davis plug-in lcd, and hang it about 6' above the top deck. I feel it's more visible to other boats at night, therefore safer.
Marc
Sunshine
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Sunshine »

I use the Davis light as well. The anchor light is supposed to be an all around (360 degree) white light. I have been advised that because the Davis light hangs in the rigging, the mast "breaks" the 360 degree requirement. That being said, I've never had a problem with the Coast Guard or law enforcement. I spend over 150 nights a year at anchor or in a mooring field where Colregs require the use of an anchor light.

I'm not sure what bulb to use but mastlight.com has LED replacement bulbs. If you know the fixture at the top of the mast, the folks at mastlight.com will tell you what LED bulb to use. By the way, mastlight.com has an LED replacement for the Davis light.
Bill and Anna Marie
S/V "Sunshine" PDQ 34002
West Creek, NJ
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Although not a direct replacement we swapped out our masthead anchor light for an LED one from Bebi Electronics. Details are here:

http://www.zerotocruising.com/?p=4580

It works great but I'm glad I installed it when the mast was down.

The bulb in our deck light just went and we swapped it out:

http://www.zerotocruising.com/?p=5447

It took a model 4411 bulb.

We switched the steaming light bulb to a LED replacement from victory before we stepped the mast this year.

Mike
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Thanks for the detail info - I may have to do a little t-shooting make sure that I have power going up the connector as well.

Always something,

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

mikeandrebecca wrote:
We switched the steaming light bulb to a LED replacement from victory before we stepped the mast this year.

Mike
I should mention that the LED replacement bulb from Victory caused MAJOR interference with both our VHF and SSB radios. As such, we went back to the original bulb.