Plexiglass fracturing

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Re: Plexiglass fracturing

Post by holomoku »

amytom wrote:How difficult is the removal of the windows? Should I invest in a windsheild removal tool?

Also, the clean up; I also ordered the required cleaner/primer and activator with the sikaflex but how clean do the surfaces have to be? Razor scraper for mechanical then wipe with acetone?

WTom
You can get a nice windshield removal tool cheap from "Harbor Freight."
Right tool for the job is always worth it....makes things go soooooo much easier.
Scraping and a mix of solvents may be needed depending on what was used to bed the windows before.
Acetone, alcohol, mineral spirits....

Careful with all of them... a coworker of mine ended up in the hospital recently using acetone while working on his car.
one spark ended up with second degree burns on his face and arms.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Ugh!!! My order of Sikaflex from Boater's World came in and no nozzles. I called Boater's World and the guy in India was completely worthless.
I called Sika and they couldn't sell me any directly but did give me two different part numbers. Those part numbers haven't crossed over to anything on the web yet.
I did notice Jamestown Distributers sells 6 packs of "extra nozzles" for almost $20.00 after shipping. Are there any other options? Are the nozzles that important or can I just go straight from the tube? Too messy?

Jamestown also sells special caulking guns for adhesive use. They say that the standard caulking gun doesn't have enough leverage to push the Sikaflex properly; is this true?

Thanks

Tom
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Boater's World came through! I recieved a pack of nozzles in the mail. Hopefully the weather will hold out for tomorrow.

Off to Harbor freight for more razor scrapers and a windshield removal tool.