House Bank Batteries

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Mongoosemagic
1st mate
1st mate

House Bank Batteries

Post by Mongoosemagic »

I need to replace my house bank batteries. Does anyone have experience with any certain brand. I have tried the cheap ones (Walmart, Costco) with batteries only lasting 2 seasons so I am looking for better quality like Trojan or Rolls.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: House Bank Batteries

Post by SecondWind »

We had Trojans. They lasted Two Seasons. Rolls are good, but so expensive that you can't amortize the cost. We're going to use Sam's Club for the next set.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

I'll be starting my 13th year with my 4- 6v Prevailer gel cells. Not too shabby.
Marc
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

I recently replaced my two 4D 12V gel cells after 12 years but they were still working and no maintainence!

Chet / 36010
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi, Back in 1997 I paid $800 for the 4 gels. If I had to replace them now, they would cost about $1300.
Chet, why did you replace yours? Are your new ones gels?
Marc
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Hi Marc,

I just didn't trust going offshore to the Bahamas for months with the old batteries. Actually it was 2007. I replaced them at The Battery Shack in Marathon, Fl with Deka Dominator 4D gels. I paid $395 each at that time.

Chet
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

Mongoose,

Since You are in MD, check this place http://www.batterywarehouse.net/

I picked up 4 of their store brand Trojan clones last year in Westminster.
Sorry I don't have the model number on me right now.
They have performed well for one season.
Prices are good. Store is very bare bones, not fancy
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Shop deep cycle batteries by the pound! The heavier they are, the more lead inside, and the longer the projected life. Page 83's battery compartment will accomodate 4 group 27 batteries, or one 4D or 8D. I bought Decca L16's (six volt golf cart batteries with the same footprint as a group 27, but twice as tall. These give me the most amphours I can squeeze into that space. They are wet cells, and need maintenance. I fitted a watering system that works, and spend a little more time taking care of them. How you feed them is important, just as important as not depleting them. Decca / East Penn are the West Marine Store Brand on the East Coast.

If you want to spend less time worrying about your batteries, go AGM. For a lot more money, you can skip the watering issue, recharge them pretty fast, and run them down slightly more incautiously.

Batteries should last 4 to five years. If they don't, it's MOST LIKELY they haven't been properly cared for. If the charge drops and a battery freezes, it's an anchor. It the fluid level drops below the top of the plates, that part that dries out is no longer useable, and sludges up the bottom of the plates, ruining that part.

You get what you pay for, especially when the economy is stressed. Buying cheap means buying often.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

I just put in my third set of Trojan T-105's in 12 years. The best price in my area can be had at a golf cart supplier - $125 each or $500 for the set last June. My old boat came with Rolls which lasted 10+ years but I figure in 10 years I'm more likely to trash the batteries through carelessness than wearing them out. Paying double for batteries that have double the potential is not necessarily a win.

When talking lifetime, much depends on how well the bank is cared for. Full time liveaboards can get get long life because they monitor the banks 365 days a year. I'm very good for three months in the Summer (when we're aboard), fair in the Spring and Fall, but in the Winter it depends on how well the solar panels can trickle charge on light that makes it through the shrink wrap! Both of my bank "end of life episodes" happened when special circumstances stressed an elderly bank - with proper care they might have lasted one or two years longer. (One time illness prevented me from checking in during the Winter. Last year the fuse holder on the solar charge line corroded so the voltage was marginal. The solar controller kept showing good output but much of it was lost in the wire.)
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

MIDORI is on her 4th season on two NAPA 6 volt deep cycle batteries. In fact we bought the second pair 1 year later when we expanded to 4 batteries and the system is holding up well. Yes I know all 4 should be purchased at the same time, I will do that when I refresh the batteries.

We charge the system daily while we are cruising for six months primarily at anchor. While MIDORI is in storage we leave a small 12 volt solar panel attached.

The wet cell battery does take a little maintenance , adding water and checking the specific gravity occasionaly.

When I change my batteries I will purchase the best 6 volt deep cycle wet batteries I can afford.

Brian
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

I am wondering if there are any updated opinions on this topic. My batteries are finishing their 11th season and are not holding their charge like they used to, so I am guessing it is time for new ones. We have solar panels plus the Xantrex Inverter/smart charger on our PDQ Capella, though we never use the inverter function.
I'd like to know:
1. Recommended supplier in Baltimore area?
2. Recommended brands -- Practical Sailor suggested Trojan
3. Type? Flooded, AGM, gel?
4. If we switch from flooded to AGM, will it affect the Xantrex?
5. I wont be at the boat for a few weeks, and don't remember what size they are. Group 27?
Mongoosemagic
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Mongoosemagic »

I have just found out that Sears is now selling AGM batteries. The company that makes them is a military supplier so I think that they should be pretty well made. Check them out
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

this is a response to the earlier response.

most xantrex can handle flooded, gel, or agms. as far as what type of battery to get, i think that's largely a math problem. by that i mean it will depend on how you use the batteries (i.e. anchoring out, how deep they discharge, initial cost, how fast you want to recharge, etc).
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Actually, the AGM batteries require a different charging voltage and sequence, but the charger should have an AGM setting. Incorrect charging will result in shortened life.

If you just want long life and are willing to watch the water, quality flooded batteries are going to be your best value. If you got 11 years for the last set... DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING! That is excellent and even half that is normal.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Tex Hill
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Tex Hill »

Trojans T 105 ( Deep Cycle 6 volt lead acid ) lasted 8 + years and are available here for $123.00 each.
The West Marine equivalent also lasted 8 years, but cost much more.. So I stick with Trojans. Never had a bad one so far.