ATN Topclimber Static Line and Spare Halyard or Sheet

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

ATN Topclimber Static Line and Spare Halyard or Sheet

Post by NautiBits »

Howdy,

Cat's Meow came with some cool gear, like this old style ATN Topclimber. This version requires a separate 7/16 line long enough to reach the top of the mast. The pretty red with white speckled nylon braided line that was neatly stored in the Topclimber bag is 1/2 inch and barely long enough to reach the top of the mast, but it doesn't reach a winch for tightening. Oh yeah, I didn't notice the 7/16 spec until after I stuffed the stubborn rope into the Topclimber sheaves :mrgreen: Maybe this cute as a button red line is part of the reefing system(see other thread please!)

Anywho, I was thinking the line for the Topclimber could double as a spare(even short-term aka emergency) for halyards or sheets.

Your thoughts?

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: ATN Topclimber Static Line and Spare Halyard or Sheet

Post by thinwater »

Does the Top Climber fit on your main halyard? If so, just use that. Yes, it does put a little wear on the line, but unless you really enjoy climbing, you'll use it maybe 10 times during the useful life of the halyard. By comparison, climbers on Yosemite ascend a line as many as 25-30 times during a single big wall climb (did that once) and certainly don't retire the line after that; more like 100, and only then because they are rubbing it against rough granite.

However, since it is climbing hardware, it is optimized for 10.5-11 mm rope (about 7/16"), and there is no way around that.

Are you going to be climbing alone, or will there always be someone belaying you with a separate halyard? If alone, think about whether you want to use the line for any other purpose. Probably too short anyway.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Okay TW,

I recognize you as the resident expert on things ascending and descending, among many other things(I got my first dosage of Biobor EB this weekend :P ) Wait a minute while I further process the info....

With this version of the Topclimber, you haul your static line to the masthead with the main halyard. This is not the version you can just clip onto the main halyard. The main halyard is half inch anyway. It would be the same 'squish' fit I dealt with with the line I have.

Well, I haven't been to the top yet, but I want to be able to do so whenever necessary, and whenever I want to. So, I don't expect to come close to your expertise, but I will not shy away from it either.

Alone or with observer: I don't think this Topclimber requires a belay man in the traditional sense. If I were to rig the topping lift to a safety harness, I would need someone to manage that on deck. Plus it is nice to have someone to call the meatwagon if you go Ker-Splat.

What are you suggesting with the '10.5-11 mm rope'? Kernmantle? Am I not thinking correctly about planning to use the Topclimber static line as a spare for running rigging?

Thanks again,

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

I have the older ATN. I ran a seperate, dedicated 7/16" line for the ATN, similar to a spare halyard without a fitting on the end, exiting at the front of the mast, because that is the side you'll be climbing up. With a little practice, I think that you will really like it. I've had my ATN for abut 10yrs.
Marc
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Joe.

Polyester double braid is what you want, not nylon. Even climbers often use a separate "static" line for... as we call it... jugging.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Marc,

I guess the wear and tear from being rigged all the time is not a significant factor (ten years of happy ups and downs) and there is perhaps a spare set of pulleys too use? I can sure see the utility of climbing up the front too. How often do you go up the mast?

TW,

Thanks for the clarification. So, you don't see much value in my redundancy plan?
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
bg5w
skipper
skipper

Post by bg5w »

Interesting thread. I have both the mast climber (has slides put into the main track, and you climb up using feet in nylon loops) and also an ATN that came with the boat. If I have another person when going up, bosin's chair is my preferred method.

I have tried the ATN mast climber once. I am in pretty good physical shape, but found the effort to get up excessive. Also, the speed of ascension was slow. My son, who is in special ops for the airforce, and in great shape, also tried, and while better than me, didn't do much better.

What is the trick? Some folks said to lean back when extending the legs to get maximum lift with each push, but that seemed to only help a little. I don't want to arrive at the top of the mast exhausted.

Bob Gruber
Island Time 32
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Is this type of line good enough, lacking, or overkill for this purpose?

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... 5&id=36657

Checking page 39 in the PDQ36 manual, there are no 7/16" lines mentioned. Can a 7/16" sub for a 1/2" in a pinch...or is that what you're asking for, a line pinched in the mechanism someplace inconvenient? I also acknowledge that the PO may have modified the original concept and I just don't know it yet.

I also have this safety harness, just in case...

http://www.uline.com/BL_956/Miller-Harn ... lsrc=aw.ds

Should I just hook it to, say, the topping lift and have the grounds crew keep it winched and stoppered?

Would there be another piece of cool climbing gear (d-rings, ascenders, ...) that may well prove invaluable?

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi, I've always climbed right against the mast with my hands around the back of the mast. First I tilt back to get my legs high, then tilt forward to hold the mast, then just stand up. Easy, but slow. Some folks tie the static line to a point forward of the mast, and climb the rope. I find this too hard, that's why I stay next to the mast. I also tie a short line from my harness to a spare halyard with a rolling hitch as a safety line, and slide it up or down as I go.
I've made as many as 8-10 round trips in a day, but the last few years 2-3 is about all I can handle. I'm 76yo, and I'll be happy to do it once this year.
Marc
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Thanks Marc!

Excellent Play-By-Play!
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

7/16"LS? Yes, a good chise and good value.

Harness. I'm not sure that one is going to work. You need a waist-level attachment in front. Try a rock climbing harness, or better, a big wall harness.
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Thanks TW!

Good call on the harness. I probably wouldn't fit in a little, or even medium wall harness. The no-cheesecake diet is helping though :mrgreen:
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086