Waht to do about bottom paint job not "holding up"?

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Re: Waht to do about bottom paint job not "holding up"?

Post by chicagocat »

Yes,
The hard vs soft paint thing is interesting. On the Florida boat, I use Trinidad.

On the Chicago boat, I use Pettit Vivid. While Pettit describes it as a hybrid of hard and soft technologies, it isn't. It's soft. If you scrub it, it comes off, so in my mind it's soft. That said, it's a great paint for the Great Lakes. It has all the advantages that Thinwater describes for the right situation. I haul every year in Chicago (obviously). The boat is on a mooring in Monroe Harbor, so it has a constant stream of water under it to gently ablate the paint. I essentially just hit the spots that are fully ablated when we haul in the fall.

One thing I learned quickly: The yard guys are used to hard paint, and they want to power wash the hell out of the bottom when the boat is hauled. That will remove all your Vivid. I have to remind them every year to leave it alone.

And it comes in all kinds of nice colors. Mine is bright yellow and looks pretty cool.
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
Smj
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Waht to do about bottom paint job not "holding up"?

Post by Smj »

We've used Ameron ABC3 ablative paint in south Florida and it will usually last up to 2 years. It's used more by commercial craft and oil rigs than pleasure craft but can be purchased by the public. Best thing is it's priced around $100 per gallon, less than half the price of a "yacht" paint.
Brenda hicks
deckhand
deckhand

Re: What to do about bottom paint job not "holding up"?

Post by Brenda hicks »

Thanks for all your advice back in July when I posted about the problems I had with all the work I had done at the yard. (By the way all of the port fixed glass windows leaked and had to be resealed)

As far as the bottom paint issue, the sales rep for Pettit paint looked into things and paid for a haul-out at a different yard and redid the bottom. I was really pleased with their representative's response and assistance and wanted to say so publicly - so many times we only complain.

Now there's a another issue. Big blisters/bulge above the waterline in a spot in the inside of the port hull at and just above the waterline. I've been researching a lot about "blisters" but not finding much about how a bulge the size of a baseball could/would occur. If anyone has advice great - I'm just putting this out here in case I can help anyone else after I make my way through this.

Brenda
Noshooz