Lightning Strike

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Lightning Strike

Post by Dan White »

Well, after 16 years and two boats in the same slip, my number finally came up this June and our boat got hit by lightning. Just about everything that touched an electron or radio wave was damaged. The VERY good news was, nothing else was damaged and the boat is fully insured. Boat US just sent a check for the full amount - no deductible due to no prior claims. Plus, every electrical component and lots of wires have now been replaced, some significantly upgraded. After 2 months on the hard, we had a sea trial last Friday and most everything is finished. (As a side note, if you ever need anything electronic, I am very pleased with the guy who did the work -- Darren at Middle River Electronics; 410-687-6474.)

Now my question is this --- what is the consensus wisdom on how to avoid the strikes in the first place - both at sea and at the slip? Seems to me I have read conflicting opinions on whether to attach conductors from the mast to the water.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: Lightning Strike

Post by thinwater »

And I suspect confused opinions is all you will recieve. I've installed numerous lightening protections systems in tank farms and refineries and I know only one thing: they reduce the chance of damage to the structure and main power wiring. They don't seem to provide any protection for electronics, and they don't seem to have any effect on strike frequency. May be they do, but the stats are long, since I've seen repeat strikes.

And while I could up-grade my insurance, 25 years worth of lower premiums would probably be enough to cover the deductable. Hard to predict the future.

For what it's worth, the only claim I ever had was snow damage. The difference a climate makes.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Lightning Strike

Post by Page 83 »

My PDQ32 was struck by lightning, everything electronic was fried, and was replaced by a very good insurance policy. This got me launched on a 5 year study of everything I could find about lightning. I am left with the conclusion that lightning is so complex and varied that anyone bold enough to presume that they have it figured out is due for some embarrassment. I think a dead albatross around your neck is no less effective than any other gadget. The real secret is getting really good insurance!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026