Update on problems with paint and an offer for free hatches

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Brenda hicks
deckhand
deckhand

Update on problems with paint and an offer for free hatches

Post by Brenda hicks »

As an update to the paint bubbles/bulges occurring on Noshooz, the problem turned out to be that the bottom paint didn't come up high enough above the water line and that the bubbling is caused by water seeping in at the water line. When the bottom was repainted it should have been raised above the scum line. The scum line has always been a few inches above the bottom paint and it didn't cause a problem because the original gel-coat didn't let water in.

Interesting to note is that Progressive Marine who did the entire new paint job didn't diagnose it that way for me and proposed simply sanding and painting where the bubbles are occurring now and said he would do me a favor and only charge me $400 to "fix things". Lucky for me I said "no thanks". Yes, I'll have to have her hauled out, sanding and fixing at the waterline and the bottom paint level raised, but a $400 "fix" today would have meant the problem would reoccur over and over adding up to a whole lot of trouble and money.

Now about the free hatches. I have all the old hatches (some screens too) and will give them to anyone who wants them. They may have value as parts to someone. All I ask is that whoever wants them pays for shipping. Let me know!
Brenda
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: Update on problems with paint and an offer for free hatc

Post by thinwater »

I assume that it was topside paint bubbling, or a boot top stripe? Bottom paint would not bubble for this reason; to porous to build pressure. Yes, it is generally a good idea to run the bottom paint a few inches above any anticipated water line. I've always felt that the boot top was there to disguise the edge of the bottom paint and the algae that tries to grow up a few inches.

Still, it should not have pealed. There is some other problem, either poor surface prep or wrong primer. I'd vote for poor surface prep and no primer, given the history. I've had boats painted well below the waterline, and with any quality 2-part paint this should not happen. Painting above the water line simply disguises poor paint application. But still a good idea. For example, when I extended my transoms 2 years ago, I painted down to the true water line, and then brought the bottom paint up another 2" over this. One part paint, good surface prep, no bubbles. I'm betting there is dirt or wax under the paint.

So now you know why so many of us are educated DIYs; even if we don't do the jib, there are HUGE benefits to knowing exactly how it should be done.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I'll be happy to take the hatches off your hands. Anything I can't use I'll spread around to others.

Where are you located? I noticed your phone was a Tampa area code, still in Florida?

Give me a call,txt, or e-mail.

Tom
407 973 7509
Svdoghouse(at)cfl(dot)rr(dot)com.
Brenda hicks
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Brenda hicks »

Tom,
Nice to meet you Saturday and I'm so glad you might be able to use the hatches! Thanks too for your offer to help. By the way, I never asked...where do you keep your boat?
Brenda
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Brenda,

It was great meeting both of you too.

We have our PDQ32 "DogHouse" in Melbourne on the east coast. We mostly sail the ICW between Ft Pierce and Canaveral. Extended trips we usually end up in Marathon or Key Largo.

Tom
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Brenda and Tom,
I am interested in a couple of the hatches as well. I know NoShooz, have stopped in several times and spoken with the crew when at the Convention Center. I am in Tampa/St. Pete at least once a week and could pick them up and get them to you next time in Melbourne. Tell me if I can help/join in.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Sam,

There will definitely be spares left over. I haven't had a chance to go over what's in the pile and what I need but the rest is yours and I might even be able to deliver. (I'm on the way to RSW today and often).
Hopefully I can go through it all by the end of next week.

Tom
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

OK, sounds good, tell me how I can help.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL