genius windlass

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

genius windlass

Post by Lyons Pride »

has anybody encountered their windlass just turning itself on? I woke up to mine just running non stop at 7am and have no idea how long it was running but the unit was extremely hot to the touch. The only way I could turn it off was to unplug the wired remote. If anyone can offer a solution to this problem I would welcome the info.
thank you in advance

Kip
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: genius windlass

Post by amytom »

I think you’ve already figured it out. The wired remote appears to have shorted out. Try taking it apart and cleaning it.
If it turns out not to be the remote the next thing I would look at is the relay pack.
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Kip,

Our boat has a switch at the lower helm (by your right knee) to allow the windlass circuit to energize. If you have that, it could have been another quick way to cut power to the runaway windlass.

Good luck solving the problem.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Lyons Pride »

thanks duane….it turned out to be water in the so called waterproof remote.....I have no idea how long it had be running but it was very hot......I haven't got into it anymore than that yet but you were right tom
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I’m glad there’s an assignable cause. Now hopefully it can just be cleaned up real well and give a few more years of service.