BAHAMAS WIFI

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
bjgin
skipper
skipper

BAHAMAS WIFI

Post by bjgin »

In the Bahamas, is WiFi available wherever there is a cell phone tower? Is it available in the southern Bahamas; such as, Jumentos, Ragged Island, Mayaguana, etc., not at marinas or resorts? We anchor out 95% of the time.
BJ and Ginny Patterson
2004 PDQ MV34, #40, 110 Engines
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: BAHAMAS WIFI

Post by deising »

I don't know if it is properly called Wi-Fi, but BTC Bahamas offers data plans through their cell service. Typically, if you can see the tower, you will get decent service. The phone then becomes a hotspot for your devices.

I have had it work well all the way to Long Island, but not sure about south of there.

Unless it has gotten better/easier, I found it a confusing process to first purchase the extra data via card, then activate the extra data, and then you had to "tell" the system that you wanted to USE the data you just activated. Hopefully, it is better now.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

we've used btc in abacos, eleuthera, berrys, and exuma as far as staniel cay. as was said, it will be good wherever there is a tower. the problem is in many places a tower is a long way away (i.e. waderick wells - approximately 20-25 miles). about 5 years ago another carrier, aliv, was started. their architecture has lot's of shorter towers, so if you're close enough there are more. one observation is that they follow the roads. aliv is throughout the bahamas that we visited.

we used a cell booster which gave us good results, in some cases 30+ miles. the problem with cell boosters is that as carriers moved to 4G and now 5G they have shifted bands and it's harder to find a booster to work with the new bands. i haven't looked into this in a while, so see what's out there. btc and aliv publish which bands they use. you want to see what band they use for data and match that band to the booster. if you anchor out that much a cell booster would be a good investment.

what i've described so far is more about the physical connection. you will have to signup with someone, carrier or wifi provider, to actually buy the data. both btc & aliv sell data plans. the way you buy your data will depend on how you use the boat. we were based out of a marina which had free wifi. so we just signed up for btc data when we left the dock. if you're anchoring out 95% of the time you'll want to buy in "bulk". 2 years ago there was a company selling big amounts for a cheap price. i think the name was island wifi.

good luck.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
bjgin
skipper
skipper

Post by bjgin »

Thanks for the info. We just installed a Shakespeare cell phone setup, which is 4G. We appear to be getting about 25 mile range out of it,
BJ and Ginny Patterson
2004 PDQ MV34, #40, 110 Engines
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL