Refinishing Salon Table

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Refinishing Salon Table

Post by John&Ria »

After 15 years of use our salon table has acquired a variety of nicks and bumps, along with serious fading due to sun exposure. For this reason we have decided to have the table refinished. In order to get a decent match with the other woodwork our professional refinisher has asked what stain (if any) was used, and most importantly what type of finishing coat was applied.

I see from previous posts that the cherry woodwork was not stained, and that Flecto Varathane (satin finish) was commonly used for the finish coat. If anyone knows - James? - I would like to confirm the process used for the late model powercats, including whether the finishing coat was sprayed or applied by brush.

Thanks for any information or advice that can be offered.

John
Attachments
20210916_114256_001.jpg
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Refinishing Salon Table

Post by James Power »

John,

As mentioned the cherry was not stained. There were a few different sub contractors that applied the finish to the woodwork over the years. Not sure what products they used but I would guess possibly a lacquer, and it looks like it was sprayed. Some of the boats received the finish that you have that unfortunately fades from the U.V. rays. Sorry I could not be of more help.

James
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Thanks very much for responding James, and no worries, that's still useful information for me to share with my refinisher.

Hope all is well.....
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

fwiw, we have a 2003 and after 16 years in the tropics the uv degradation has been dramatic. our table has hinged sides which fold inward. unfortunately, the sides leave a 2" gap which has left a 2" "white" stripe down the center of the table as well as "white" bottoms of the folded sides.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

John, I'm not surprised there are others with a similar situation to ours. I'll be getting the table top refinished within the next couple of weeks, and will post pictures of the outcome. Hopefully we can get a result that is close to the original, or at least have a colour that is consistent across the top.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

For this reason, and to ...
* Keep bird bombs off
* Reduce AC load and warmer in the winter
* Protect the plexi from UV

... we nearly always kept the windows covered from the outside. Also covers on the hatches after this was taken. Makes a huge difference on fading. None.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-anzjg4yDnAQ/U ... ow+res.jpg
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

We now have our salon table back from the refinisher and are very pleased with the results. He was able to address virtually all of the fading, and the grain now stands our beautifully. He did advise that the veneer will likely handle only one re-sand of this nature, so from now on we'll be extra careful by protecting the table with a cover when we are not on-board.

For anyone who is interested, the product used to refinish the surface is Osmo 3043 clear satin (from Germany I believe).

Cheers,

John
Attachments
20220123_162539_001.jpg
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Looks beautiful, John!
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Thanks Duane, we're really happy we made the investment.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Very nice job.

I strongly recommend you cover the windows, not the table. Might as well protect everything. I never had fading, but I always covered the windows from the outside.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Thanks Thinwater.

Interestingly we don't seem to have much evidence of fading elsewhere. I think this is because the boat came equipped with very good interior window coverings everywhere, and we keep them closed when we're not on the boat. We should have used the accordion blinds on the forward windows more frequently during the years when we were travelling the Loop and hanging out in Florida and the Bahamas, but we didn't, and this has had the biggest effect on the table.

Now that the boat is living in the northern latitudes, the degrading effects of the sun are less of a concern. Lots of rain and exterior accumulation of green slime over the winter months, now that's another story :roll:!
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

John,

Did your refinishing guy tell you what the original finish was? I'd like to know for sure. He is 100% correct -- it would be very surprising if anyone could get more than ONE re-sand on that thin veneer. Our original table had several spots where the veneer had been compromised. I tried several times to lightly sand, stain and apply a new vanish finish to it, but it never came out very well. I was actually glad when a charter guest broke the table several years ago and we replaced it with a beautiful piece of solid wood.

The issue I'm wrestling with now is 3 laminated surfaces that need some TLC. The first is the slim piece of trim just below the front window - it has one area about 4" wide where it looks like the veneer has worn away... maybe due to water intrusion long ago. I don't know what to do about it.

The 2nd issue is the side of the lower helm cabinet - it shows a lot of what looks like tiny age cracks in the vertical side surface. The 3rd issue is the flat surface on the top of the cabinet above the cooktop in the galley (it's also the baskrest for the seat at the salon table) -- it gets a lot of traffic -- plates and glasses, etc. and also shows tiny age cracks. Neither surface is really bad yet, but I think it would prevent further veneer issues if they both could be lightly refinished. I "think" the finish on these cabinets is lacquer. So, I'm thinking of doing a super light sanding and adding a very light clear lacquer spray to them.

Any thoughts or advice on these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Hi Mac,

Unfortunately I don't have a definitive answer on the original finish. Here's the story from James Power: There were a few different sub contractors that applied the finish to the woodwork over the years. Not sure what products they used but I would guess possibly a lacquer, and it looks like it was sprayed.

If it helps, the product my finisher used (Osmo 3043 clear satin, available from Lee Valley in Canada) appears to be something different than a lacquer, but apparently compatible with it, and likely other finishes. They have a comprehensive write-up about it on the Lee Valley website...
www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/supp ... rd-wax-oil

FWIW, my finisher impressed me with his knowledge and skill, so I expect this was a good choice.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

John
esheufelt
deckhand
deckhand

Post by esheufelt »

Hi Mac,

For your small areas i've had good luck inlaying sections of veneer. It's fussy work but if you are careful you can get a pretty crisp line and even if not perfect is better than you started. I have a section on the floor at the corner of the upper settee where i'm going to carefully remove the top layer of veneer and inlay a new piece between the holly strips. Titebond 3 is totally waterproof and cleans up with water if you get to it early. Epoxy works but is overkill and a hassle.

Sometimes it easier to just overlay a whole section with a new veneer if you can deal with the edges cleanly. I've never gotten it perfect but it's always been way better than when I started.

Eddie