HELP structural problem with my 36

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
catalacmarc
skipper
skipper

HELP structural problem with my 36

Post by catalacmarc »

Want to get feedback from the whole community. I have posted also in the 36 section. The boat is a 1991, outboard powered model. Stress fractures around the port side chain plates near lower windows, repaired at blue tape line. Also, a tear through fiberglass and foam at corner of upper window plus a stress cracks along both sides of fore aft cabin deck stringer forward of the mast. Anyone seen this before? See posting "What is happening with my boat" in the 36 section for more details.
20220328_162214-1.jpg
stress cracks.jpg
stress crcks detail 1.jpg
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: HELP structural problem with my 36

Post by thinwater »

I've seen that before under black paint (which is why it is a bad idea) and more commonly with black gel coat. Basically cosmetic. Grind out a little, fair, and repaint the area (since it is chipping and badly faded anyway). Overheating, and more importantly, because the gel coat was way too thick in that area (they lay it in the mold double thickness to get color highlights). A mistake they did not repeat on the 32s.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
catalacmarc
skipper
skipper

Re: HELP structural problem with my 36

Post by catalacmarc »

Thanks Thinwater, that is the same conclusion both the local boatwise guys came to. My plan is to grind the surfaces down to the point that I can cover them with very thin glass, 0.75 oz. to prevent the cracks from showing up. they are so think, less than 0.002" that epoxy won't fill them. But just in the cracked sections then paint with a very light blue to reduce absorbed heat. Once the weather in Seattle allows of course.
Marc