Anchoring a Cat...Correctly

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Anchoring a Cat...Correctly

Post by Mishigas »

I am new to Cat ownership and will be taking delivery of hull#68 in May. I understand that it is often recomended that when anchoring, the use of a "bridal" line running from each sponson should be used to even out the anchor pull and keep the swing under control. Is this the truth and is it always necessary? Any tips or pointers anchoring cats are appreciated as we are planning on doing many nites on the hook this season. Thanks in advance... Sandy MISHIGAS MV34
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Anchoring

Post by Dan White »

Not sure if it's required, but I ALWAYS use a bridle overnight. Only takes a few minutes, (once I remember how to tie a rolling hitch.)

If a storm is forecast I use 2 anchors, neither on bridles.

If we are going for a swim, or lunch, etc, I just use one anchor with no bridle.
Half Moon 36073
deckhand
deckhand

Anchoring a cat

Post by Half Moon 36073 »

In the interest of sloth, I stopped using a bridle. Now I have to justify this unseamanlike behavior. Justification 1. If I had to raise anchor and get underway in an emergency situation I have one less line and rolling hitch to dismantle. Justification 2. If quartering the waves is more comfortable, why not quarter them at anchor? Being overtaken by a line squall from astern, I once anchored to ride out the blow...using the starboard CQR only. It was comfortable and I was not aware of radical "sailing" back and forth as in a monohull. I would be interested in others experiences. Alex Kehayes 36073.
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

leadfree

Post by Leadfree »

We cruise in the Bahamas for the winter and always anchor with a bridle, and never with 2 anchors in the last 5 years, especially in a storm. My fear would be a wind shift and then one would have tangled anchor lines.
Sharon of Lead Free Too
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

anchoring

Post by Leadfree »

As an added piece of info, we use a Delta anchor with 30' of chain the rest rode down here in the Bahamas and up and down the ICW which holds well.
Sharon
Passage Back
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Passage Back »

I was at the PDQ factory yesterday and also stopped by the Whitby Marina and noticed that the seven (7) PDQ 43's already at the yard have the anchor roller mounted midships rather than on the starboard bow (as in the PDQ 36). Midships mounting seems to obviate the need for a bridal.
Passage Back
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Passage Back »

I meant to say PDQ 34's rather than 43's
ELIXIR
1st mate
1st mate

anchoring PC34

Post by ELIXIR »

Bridle still desirable. With extra chain you don't want to lead it through your roller due to wear and noise. Also the bridle acts as shock absorber. With rope as the boat sails back and forth at anchor you'll get some wear on the line against the sides of the anchor lead.
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Anchoring a Cat...Correctly

Post by deising »

I see this is a very old thread, but still valid for a multi-hull newbie like me.

With only 50 feet of chain on our MV34, there will be many times that we have only the nylon 3-strand portion of the rode at the bow roller. Do many of you (especially those with the power cats, if that makes any difference at all) use a rolling hitch to make a bridle for the nylon rode, or do you belay it on the large cleat next to the windlass and let the rode ride over the bow roller.

On our previous monohull, I hardly ever left the tensioned rode on the roller, but took it to a bow cleat instead. With the multi-hull, I either have to let the roller take the load (and it is pretty far cantilevered), or rig the bridle.

Your current thoughts and experience will be appreciated.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

While you can certainly skip the bridle, I've anchored all kinds of cats and that is generally a mistake. Cats sail more at anchor without a bridle, increasing the chance of pulling the hook. With a bridle, they sit still. A simple habit to cultivate that results in better sleep.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Thanks for that quick response. Will welcome all others.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Cat Daddy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Cat Daddy »

We use a SS ring instead of a rolling hitch. Our bridle consists of : 2 - 15' lengths of 1/2" 3 strand nylon line w/ an eye splice on one end and a snap hook on the other, and a 3" diameter SS ring. ( ring & snap hooks properly sized for the load). Pay out rode to the desired scope, pull up enough slack to double the rode and push it through the ring. Loop it over the ring ( back on itself) and pull tight. Attach an eye splice to port & starboard forward cleat and snap each hook to the ring. Pay out rode until it is slack between the ring & the windless.

It took more time to type this than to actually do it. Hope it makes sense. It work well for us and is simple.

Rafe
Rafe Williams
"Cat Daddy"
MV34 #32
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Got it, Rafe. I was trying to determine if that method decreases the load carrying capability of the nylon, but I am thinking no.

Thanks. Sounds like a bridle for all conditions (expect a lunch stop) is the way to go.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

I like the ring idea, but I am not following the "loop onto itself" portion. Can you help me understand? Thx
Ross Bowling
Cat Daddy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Cat Daddy »

Simple to do but hard to describe.

At the point you want to attach the ring, fold the rode double and hold it in one hand leaving about a foot to work with. Slide the ring over the folded end down to your hand, open the "loop" of the folded part a bit and fold that over the top of the ring down to touch the rode as it enters the ring. Pull the slack tight and it will lock in place. Be sure to snap the hooks on that part of the ring you just pushed the loop over.

Try it with a piece of string & a key ring. It really works well.

Rafe
Rafe Williams
"Cat Daddy"
MV34 #32