outboard wiring harness - Corrosion -Should be tined wire?

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

outboard wiring harness - Corrosion -Should be tined wire?

Post by MIDORI »

New issue. The engine would not start, sometimes nothing, sometimes just click. It is not mechanical, I have fully charged batters.
With help we diagnosed corroded wire harness from engine to ground stud. Cutting back the outer jacket I could not find tinned wire , could not find copper wire, just black corroded wire.
Both engines are 10 years old. purchased at Shipyard Island Marina. I contacted Shipyard Island Marina and questioned if this is a typical problem and shouldn't the wire be tinned? Andy advise was just replace the wire he did not know if the wires are tinned.
Has anyone had this issue, is there a recommended tinned wire that has the required flexibility for raising and tilting the engines?
Thank you
Brian
Brian
catalacmarc
skipper
skipper

Re: outboard wiring harness - Corrosion -Should be tined wire?

Post by catalacmarc »

I have been runing these engines for twenty plus years, this has happened several times, It usually is corrosion in the connections of the wiring harness that are covered by the box under the engine cover. Usually, a cleaning of the connections,starting with the power connection followed by dielectric grease takes care of the situation. Make suer you hve a good connection, not too loose. Once I had a solinoid fail. Hope this helps. Marc