Sebastian Inlet, Florida

Questions about places PDQ's go, field reports about where you've been, and crew requests
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Sebastian Inlet, Florida

Post by Cat Tales »

Has anyone used the Sebastion Inlet in Florida? I know that it has a fixed bridge which prevents sailboats from transitting, but I will be bringing a powerboat down the coast and was concerned about shoaling and depths through that area.

Thanks!
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Re: Sebastian Inlet, Florida

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Yes, I have. Gotta tell you, it is not fun (usually). Biggest issue is the current through the cut, especially from the bridge to the outside jetty. Currents swirl like crazy. Couple that with the local yahoos that have no idea what they are doing in small boats trying to go through there and the fishermen that drift the inlet among the traffic any you have a recipe for disaster. I have seen more "worlds stupidest boater tricks" there than anywhere else. All of the shoaling for the most part is inside but is typically pretty well marked.

Now for the good part. If you can time a slack tide on a weekday with good weather, you should find it a pleasurable experience. In fact, it is a beautiful inlet. And make sure to stop at Captain Hiram's once inside, nice tiki bar and good dockage, even just for lunch.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Re: Sebastian Inlet, Florida

Post by Cat Tales »

Thanks Sam! A well marked channel through the shoal area is what I wanted to hear. Regarding the currents, fisherman, and "yahoos", we have our own (although a little smaller) version of Sebastian Inlet in Boca Raton, so I am used to it. I believe that the Sebastian Inlet is close to you guys. We'll let you know when we're up that way, maybe buy you a beer at Captain Hiram's in celebration of dodging the small boat mine field. :)
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL