Whitby to NYC

Questions about places PDQ's go, field reports about where you've been, and crew requests
Bob
admiral
admiral

Whitby to NYC

Post by Bob »

How long a trip is it from roughly the factory location to NYC?
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
ThomKat
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Whitby to NYC

Post by ThomKat »

Went from Hell Gate to Whitby in about 4 days on a 100 hp 34 - in delivery mode. I say about as the days were not consecutive or contiguous. The Erie Canal was at flood stage and was closed off and on for several days.
Tom Walker
ThomKat - MV3475
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No Schedule & Sticking To It
MagicDragon
skipper
skipper

Re: Whitby to NYC

Post by MagicDragon »

No idea how long it will take if you go east, out the St. Lawrence and down. We did take our LRC from NYC to Lake Erie.

I would allow 10 days minimum. From Toronto south and east to Oswego, where you would catch the Erie Canal, could possibly be made overnight in a 24 hour sail, or in a couple days if you stop each night. Oswego to Waterford could be done in 4-5 days and Waterford down the Hudson River to NYC could be done in 2 days. Remember that if you have a mast, you'll need to allow extra time to unstep / step at each end of the trip if you take the canal route.

The Erie Canal locks ($37.50 for 10 day pass) are closed at night, so you must dock each night along the way. Our journey from NYC up the Hudson River to Albany NY took two leisurely days, and we arrived at Hop-O-Nose the night of July 18th. Our mast was laid along the pulpits on the port side on the 19th and we took off after lunch, and got through the Troy lock. With a couple extra overnights along the way due to "adventures" - we arrived on the other side of Lake Oneida on the 24th. We could have headed north through Oswego Canal, but we chose to continue along the Erie Canal to Buffalo and then to Cleveland. We left NYC on July 17th and arrived in Cleveland on August 1.

The canals are wonderful to traverse - almost stress free, with free tie-ups and water/electricity at almost every stop. Each little village is vying with the next to treat boaters right. If you don't have to rush through, I'd recommend taking your time, and wish we had not been in such a hurry to get home. More info on our website!
http://www.MagicDragonPDQ.com
Angela Barbati
S/V Magic Dragon 36054
near Cleveland, OH