Chartplotters

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Greg PDQ 32

Chartplotters

Post by Greg PDQ 32 »

I need to get a new chartplotter as Garmin no longer supports G-charts. At the risk of opening up a can of worms, which electronic charts have the best coverage and are the most accurate for the Bahamas: BlueChart, Navionics, C-Map or one of the PC based maping programs?

Ten years ago on a previous boat I had a laptop with Maptech but didn't want to risk it out in the weather. Now with free charts from NOAA and many other players in the game I think I need to revisit that option and if the charting is actually better then I may have to get a weatherproof monitor. I know this is more complicated than just a simple answer so thanks in advance.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Greg,

I use the Garmin Bluecharts. Their Bahamas charts have the Explorer charts built-in which are a MUST. Whatever you choose, make sure they include the Explorer charts or you will have no detail of the islands.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
Greg PDQ 32

Post by Greg PDQ 32 »

Thanks Chet, that's really helpful. I think that will narrow my search for a plotter.
Greg
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Explorer Charts

Post by SecondWind »

C-Map now supports Explorer Charts. I called Explorer Charts and C-map in November to confirm this.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Greg PDQ 32

Post by Greg PDQ 32 »

Thanks,
The Explorer website lists Garmin Blue Charts, C-Map Max and NT+ and Passport Deluxe as having their charts. I guess I'll just have to see which hardware I like best.
Thanks again,
Greg
SeaPaws
1st mate
1st mate

Post by SeaPaws »

I had the garmin 168 for several years and liked it. Chart plotter and depth finder in one. Great for limited space. I upgraded last year to the 178C which is the same design, footprint and software but with a color screen adn much faster processor. I really love mine. The 178C does take a chip that you can upload from your PC the charts you desire, but you could have an extra chip loaded with additional charts for a new area.
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Greg,

I don't know the other brands, but C-Map also uses Explorer charts and their "new" Wide versions cover a large area with very good detail & added features such as marinas, tides, etc.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL