windlass repost

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
wake up
1st mate
1st mate

windlass repost

Post by wake up »

sorry but i posted this i n the wrong forum so here it is again.

I know there's been windlass postings before, but per my post in forum i can't use the search engine.

looking at either a lofrans project 1000 or a quick cyrstal 1000. Any one have any thoughts on this. I originally wanted the lewmar but there is a lot of bad publicity on the net about their equipment.

hand held remote over foot switches ??

Primary is 35# delta 60 feet 5/16 chain 200 ft 5/8 rode

thanks for any input
rgds

Wake up
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Hi Wakeup,

I have a Sprint 1000GD which is a vertical windlass with a drum. When this unit works, it is great, but it is a maintenance intensive unit since it lives in an awful environment up on the foredeck. I find that if I service it every couple years, it is reliable. I really like the drum feature. It can be used to retrieve a second anchor or haul a mate up the mast on a bosun chair. It has a fast retrieval rate and uses a lo wattage motor (400W) so the feed cables running back to the battery are a reasonable size. Large motors need large expensive cabling to operate properly. I have deck switches which seem easy to use. The unit also comes with a helm switch for self launching anchors. I use a 35Delta and 140ft of 5/16 HT chain and a spliced 100ft of 9/16rope. The unit is mounted on the deck where the cleat used to be. The cleat has been moved slightly outboard. This is the best area to mount the unit as it is cored with wood. If you look up from the compartment on a sunny day you can see how far this coring extends. The vertical drop seems adequate for the chain to pile itself in the compartment.

Hope this helps,
Chet
Allezcat 36010