Autohelm Repair

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
admiral
admiral

Autohelm Repair

Post by 36041 »

All,

Our autohelm 4000 wheel pilot has recently stopped working correctly. The lever that you push to engage the friction plates has stopped locking. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a known fix other than using a rope or bungie cord to hold it in place. I haven't yet taken it apart, I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks,
Tom
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Auto helm

Post by doubledutch »

I had the same problem on mine. A new belt fixed it - the old belt got stiff and had a couple missing teeth.
You will need to buy the proper Raymarine belt as their specs do not seem to match any of the standard belts of this type.
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Ditto what Doubledutch said. The bungee cord worked for a while.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

If this is the older ST4000, there is an adjustment that you can do to increase tension on the belt. If I remember correctly, the belt passes around 2 rollers, that rotate on "off-center" cams. If you loosen the screw that holds the roller, you can then adjust the tension by rotating the roller to the desired position. A new belt should definitly help, but the roller tensioning should still be done. Better yet, if this is the older stye, consider getting the newer version. The older one had so many built in design flaws, that after a while it can a real PITA.
If this is the newer style, there is an adjustment for adding tension. I think it's on the locking handle, but you can check your owners manual.
Unfortunatly, I had a lot of trouble with the older unit while cruising, and learned about the flaws the hard way, and how to fix them. If I can help in any way, please let me know.
Marc
admiral
admiral

Autohelm Repair

Post by 36041 »

Thanks guys, I'll pull it apart and see what's up.
Rich Tanner 36083
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Rich Tanner 36083 »

I had the same problems. You may snap the roll pin that holds the lever. If so, a drill bit cut to length will work fine. The pins are quite expensive from Raymarine. I fixed mine for two years, eight repairs, before I just bought a 4000+(the grey unit). No problems with it so far, knock on wood.
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

If you cannot get it fixed, but would prefer not to replace the whole unit at this time, I have an extra drive-unit I would be happy to sell you for a nominal cost. -- $45. Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Rich, I replaced most of the pins with cut-off drill bit stock also. The pins are the "achilles heel" of the older units. I did what you did eventually, and bought the new one. Sold the old one for $200 at a marine flea market. Good ridance.
Marc
admiral
admiral

It Lives !!!

Post by 36041 »

All,

After about 25 attempts, I have finally beat the auto pilot into submission. I replaced the belt, but that didn't help.

It turns out that the little pin in the plastic handle was rotating inside the fitted plastic elbow joint. I remove the little set screw, drilled out the hole in both the plastic handle and the steel shaft and then used a cotter pin to hold the shaft in position. This works way better than the unit did when new.

I also had to drill out and re-attach 4 of the 8 wheels inside the unit. It appears they were molded to the base originally, but 20,000 miles of rotating had broken several off. I removed the rest of them and drilled out the center section of each to allow a small 10-32 bolt and a lock nut to fit on each.

I know most of you are not fond of this unit, but for anyone interested, I have pictures of the repairs as they progressed. I'd like to get a new one some day, but right now I just can't justify $1200+ when the old one is still working fine (or at least as well as it ever did).

Thanks for all the help guys.

Regards,
Tom
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Your post brings back many bad memories. LOL. Good luck,
Marc
halfmoon
1st mate
1st mate

ST 4000

Post by halfmoon »

My old 4000 kept rejecting itself, the two wheel halves parting company. I bought the new 4000+ drive unit only and plugged it into the old instrument and it has worked without problem for two years now. Cheaper than buying a whole new AP.
Alex Kehayes 36073
Alex Kehayes
Edenton, NC