Gasoline generator

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Re: Gasoline generator

Post by Cat Tales »

Our Honda 2000 can run the 16.5k btu A/C just fine, but it's noisy when operated at close to full power. I know the day will come when my wife asks for A/C while underway, not to mention the "kind" words our anchored neighbors are saying of us during those hot, sticky nights in a tight anchorage. So we've begun thinking about the built-in small gas generator from Westerbeke. They produce a 3kw, which is more than enough for us and claim to have a Safe-CO feature which reduces carbon monoxide by 99%.

The $7000 price tag is hard to justify, but I'd still like to hear comments from others who have built-it generators - the pro / cons, and any concerns of CO or fuel source of a gas generator? Also, how is the noise level and do you use a sound shield?

My two main reasons for not thinking about a diesel genset are (although, I'm keeping an open mind to diesel):
1. Extra expense, for generator & fuel tank. Included is the loss of storage space taken up by the new fuel tank.
2. Limited fuel capacity. A 15 gal diesel tank will last about 60 hours. The Westerbeke will consume slightly more fuel, but with an already paid-for, built-in 55 gal tank.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Gasoline generator

Post by Page 83 »

Another reason for an inboard gasoline generator is that the Coast Guard and ABYC frown on mixed fuels aboard a vessel stored internally. As far as using gasoline inboard, look around any marina, count the number of gas boats, and divide by the number of burned out boats you can see. Thats the accident rate. It's low. You might assume the problem is under control. :roll:
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026