SSB install

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Bob
admiral
admiral

SSB install

Post by Bob »

Has anyone installed a single side band in their 36'. I have a LRC and am wondering if the engines and drives can be used as part of the ground. How about fishing copper foil in the bilges - anyone had any luck? Tips on install appreciated.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

We installed an SSB with no problem. A dynaplate was installed in the starboard hull just behind the thru-hulls for the depth/speed. This is the only area where we had easy access to the trru-bolt to attach the foil. The foil was fished back to the starboard lazerette where the tuner is located. I cut a slit in the bulkheads (under the floor) to move from compartment to compartment.
Roger and Bonnie
Bob
admiral
admiral

ssb install

Post by Bob »

This is interesting-- I was trying to figure how to stuff 100sf of counterpoise in the bilges. This seems to be what everyone aims for anyway. Do you get good tx/rx on all bands? If so your install beats what I had in mind.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

The reception and transmitting are fine. My wife was asked to be Thursdat's Net Control on the CruiseHeimers Net (0830 on 8152 summer) because of the excellent signal and her excellent radio manner. We also use the SSB for e-mail throughout the winter in the Bahamas with no problem. It seems to be a good installation. Keep in mind that on any given day the propagation can be such that we can't hear a boat 100 miles away but have clear reception on others 500 miles away. Every day is different. Also, do not run your wire, that goes from the tuner to the backstay, directly next to the backstay. Use some sort of standoff so there is no leakage between the wire and the grounded backstay.
Roger and Bonnie