Refrigeration

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Sunshine
1st mate
1st mate

Refrigeration

Post by Sunshine »

Gretigings all - We have what appears to be the original refrigeration system on our boat. I tested the system on two occasions and everything, (compressor and cooling water pump) worked fine except that the box temp was 60 degrees. We brought in a professional to recharge the system but alas, for about the last week, the compressor has not started. It "tries" to start, but shuts off within ten seconds. About every two minutes, the compressor tries to restart, but always shuts off before it can get going (or so it sems).

There are no markings that I can see, so I'm not sure what company manufactured the refrigeration system. The inverter is marked "K I S S" and was manufacturered by Xitek Manufacturing, Kingston, Ontario. Their phone number is no longer in service.

Any helpful suggestions would be most welcomed!

Thanks
Bill and Anna Marie
S/V "Sunshine" PDQ 34002
West Creek, NJ
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Not sure if you are looking for this kind of suggestion but here goes...

Seriously consider replacing your unit with a Waeco Adler-Barbour Cold Machine (or Super Cold Machine if you already have the raw water cooling setup). The newer compressor technology is more efficient and may result in significantly less current draw. I have been very happy with mine. Best price I have seen is through Defender. Unit comes pre-charged and can easily be installed by a novice (I did mine). Keeps the stuff really cold and also makes ice.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Sunshine,

I agree with Sam.

I had a similar problem on Allezcat although my unit is air-cooled. It is a Nova Kool using the old R-12 refrigerant. The problem turned out to be in the electronic control box (black box). I was lucky to solve the problem by switching out the box with a used one from Lee Henderson (Brigadoon).

Chet
Allezcat 36010
Sunshine
1st mate
1st mate

Refrigeration

Post by Sunshine »

Thanks Sam, Gina and Chet!

Sam and Gina, did you install the compressor to your old sylsem (refrigerant tubes and evaporator, etc.) or did you replace everything? Just wondering about the connections. Do you know if the super cold machine havs the equlivanelt of the "black box" that the KISS system has (just wondering about the wiring)?

Thanks Again.
Bill and Anna Marie
S/V "Sunshine" PDQ 34002
West Creek, NJ
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

I replaced the entire system. The system comes precharged with quick connects that are so easy to do. I am sure the connections would be different from your existing system. The technology is more advanced today, better to do the whole thing, the evaporator is only about 20% of the cost anyway, better to be sure...

As for the wiring, that was all very simple as well. The unit comes prewired and if I recall, all I had to do was supply 12V.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

I've used Peterson Marine to purchase parts for our Adler Barbour Super Cold Machine. They intially helped me troubleshoot my problem, then talked me through the tricks of bypassing & rewiring the "brain" incase of a failure while out cruising away from technical help. They also gave me a great discount (maybe 35%) on price. I highly recommend their service/expertise. If you need names of the employees I spoke with, just let me know & I'll get them next time I go down to the boat.

Peterson Marine
445 Douglas Road East
Oldsmar, FL 34677
Phone: 813-854-2252
Fax: 813-854-2904
http://www.petersonmarineinc.com
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Weird...Any idea why they state their operating hours in Central time zone yet they are in Tampa???
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Sunshine
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Sunshine »

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. We really appreciate the information. We ordered the whole system and hope to receive it in a timely fashion. We're hoping to have it installed before beginning our curise south. Departure is tentatively scheduled for 9/22, weather permitting.
Bill and Anna Marie
S/V "Sunshine" PDQ 34002
West Creek, NJ
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Email me if you have any questions with the install.

sdensler@islandfx.com

Also, drop us a line if and when you pass through Melbourne, FL
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Also, if you have the time to take some pictures during the install process, I can post them on the http://www.pdq36.com website for others who are considering the same upgrade. Where did you buy the unit and what was the cost? Cold Machine or Super Cold Machine?
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Sunshine
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Sunshine »

Sam and Gina -

We installed the Waeco/AB super cold machine yesterday. Wanted to take pictures, but got on a roll and didn't stop to take the pics. Sorry about that! It took twice as long (8 hours) as we anticipated, mostly because we were being methodical.

We had the most difficulty installing the horizontal evaporator. It was virtually impossible to get the back screws in. We eventually got it, but a new design (i.e. mounting clips to receive the evaporator) would be a great improvement for retrofits.

Running the refrig lines and electrical connections were a snap.

One final note: Once we "powered up" it took a little over 20 minutes to drop the box temp from 70 degrees to 42 degress. Pretty impressive!

We bought the unit from Defender - price was $1150 for the condenser and evaporator.

Bill and Anna Marie
Bill and Anna Marie
S/V "Sunshine" PDQ 34002
West Creek, NJ