WINDLASS

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Sunshine
1st mate
1st mate

WINDLASS

Post by Sunshine »

Hello Group:

It's time to bite the bullet and install a windlass. I wonder if you care to tell me what kind (brand) of windlass you are using and something about your experience with it. I'd also like to know on which bow and where on the bow you installed it and if there were any issues in blocking off part of the locker for the rode/chain.

The "Good" windlass company is located a few miles fro our house. Does anyone have any experience/information with their product?
Thanks for your help,

Bill
Bill and Anna Marie
S/V "Sunshine" PDQ 34002
West Creek, NJ
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Re: WINDLASS

Post by Cat Tales »

Look in the PDQ 36 Forum, under "Anchoring" (Feb 08) and "Windlass Ideas?" (Dec 07). Both threads will get you started with some answers to your questions, and answer some questions that you haven't yet asked.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

We have a Sprint 1000 by Lewmar on the Stb. bow - piece of crap!!! Do you believe they don't sell motor brushes - you have to buy a new motor...

We have a manual Lofrans on the Port side. Harder to use, but a good back-up. Would have added another electric but too much trouble and expense.

A windless is esential and a safety if the anchorage gets rolling. Make a good choice!!!
Roger and Bonnie
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

We also have a Lewmar. I concur with Roger-a piece of crap- we had to have a machine shop make brushes for the motor. I'm so irritated with Lewmar that I will never buy anything they have to offer.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

bill,

FWIW we have the std genius on the powercats. we anchor quite a bit and it has worked well.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

We are on our 2nd Sprint 1000. The first one lasted approximately 7 years. Its downfall was corrosion, not the brushes. These machines don't seal out water intrusion as well as others. When we purchased our replacement, it was recommended that we silicone where the motor connects the gears. So far the replacement and its extra silicone sealing has worked well.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL