Inverter Pure Sine or MSW?

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht

Pure sinewave or Modified sine wave?

Pure sinewave
No votes
Modified sinewave
100%

Total votes: 4

amytom
admiral
admiral

Inverter Pure Sine or MSW?

Post by amytom »

Due to my own impateience, stupidity etc... I damaged my ProSine 1000 inverter. The control cable pulled out and shorted, I have a call into the manufacturer for a possible repair but if that doesn't pan out I'll replace the unit. The exact replacement is $700.00 and the upgrade to the 1800 is about $900.00 There are much cheaper units out there but they are modified sinewave. I know the technical differences but don't know the real world statistics. (I work for GE, statistics is everything!) What does everyone else use and what do you recomend? BTW I mostly only use the inverter for powering laptop, various chargers, and a splurge on the microwave for my little princess' "must have" microwave meals.

Thanks again guys

Tom
Loki
skipper
skipper

Re: Inverter Pure Sine or MSW?

Post by Loki »

I'll be interested in seeing the results. I voted MSW because I have the old Heart (now Xantrex) Freedom 20 which is MSW and I haven't ever had a problem with it. It gets used daily for the microwave, coffee grinder, and a few other odd appliances. For smaller items, like the laptop and toothbrush, I use a small inverter because it much more efficient. In fact, when we lived aboard, we had an assortment of small inverters that were matched to the appliance, and used a DC TV - anything to save 10 Amp-hours, which turns into 10 minutes of engine run!
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Unless your laptop plugs directly into a 115VAC outlet, (without a transformer) you have no worries. Even if it does, the power supply inside doesn't let any nasty alternating current anywhere near its precious circuits, so you've got another safety cushion.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

We also have the older Heart Freedom 20 modified sine wave inverter. It has been used for laptops, printers, cell & multiple-variety battery chargers, variable speed power tools, vacuum cleaner, microwave, toaster, blender, stand mixer, bread maker (all my wife's toys - I promise) and TVs without any problems. Unless you frequently use a medical device or specific variable speed motor which requires a true sine wave, the MSW should suffice.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Rich Tanner 36083
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Rich Tanner 36083 »

Hi Tom
I initially had a Freedom 20. It ruined a coffee pot and an electric toothbrush. Tech support said it was the control circuitry in each of them. Probably used at least 30 other tools/appliances and never had a problem.
I have gone to the ProSine 2000, for the pure waveform and for the weight savings.
Rich