12 volt ceiling lights

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
jimlong
admiral
admiral

12 volt ceiling lights

Post by jimlong »

Hi all, looking to replace 18 in. ceiling fixtures in the galley and nav station and looking for hot tips on great price, low draw and better lighting. Thanks Jim
ATTITUDE
skipper
skipper

Go LED, young man.

Post by ATTITUDE »

LED's seems to meet two of your requirements - low draw and better lighting. Perhaps some web surfing and you will find LED's in your price range.
ATTITUDE
Captain Doug
Admiral Jeannie
Sea Dog 1st Class Paca

ATTITUDE - the last of human freedoms (Viktor Frankl)
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Re: 12 volt ceiling lights

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I have tried the LED strip light replacements for the long fluorescent lights and was not impressed. Not enough dispersion to cover the area you want to light. I have replaced every other lamp in the boat to LED for the smaller areas but have not found a suitable replacement for lighting the large salon or galley areas.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

I've installed Alpenglow lights throughout my boat. They are a bit pricey, but are VERY efficient -- they put out more alums than halogens, but use very little power and are great looking I highly recommend them. I recently had a lens break in one of mine, and I tried to order a replacement, but Alpenglow wouldn't take my money -- they replaced it for free, including S/H. It's hard to be that kind of service. Ed
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Alums are a measurement of a University's football slush fund reservoir, expressed in X number of sports cars, off-campus apartments, and legal defense fees. Lumens have something to do with brightness, and are rarely associated with University Football.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

Yup. Got me on that one! :roll: :roll:
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility