Rudder Wobble

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Sunshine
1st mate
1st mate

Rudder Wobble

Post by Sunshine »

Greetings,

I have "wobble" in the port rudder and to a lesser extent, in the starboard rudder. Both rudders have been removed, and, in adition to the wobble, I found that there is a tiny bit of flexing where the rudder posts enter the rudders. It appears that water has penetrated the rudders. I intend to drain the water and then grind and reglass the area where the posts enter the rudders.

Regarding the wobble, (for reference, my boat is hull # 2 (34002) one of the original PDQ's), I have learned from a recent post that there should be rudder bearings that fit around the rudder posts and inside what apears to be fiberglass tubes that run from the bottom of each hull to the shelf (floor?) on which the steering gear is located. I have been in contact with Mass Plastics and have learned that two different sized plastic bearings were supplied to PDQ. Before I can order them, I need to know what size they are.

The problem... it seems that the posts fit so tightly in the tubes there very is little room for bearings. Can I be reasonably certain that there are bearings (if so, I must assume that they are rather "thin.")

I'm hoping someone can help with the following questions:

1. How many bearings are needed for each rudder?
2. If only one bearing per post, should it be in the middle of the tube?
3. If two per post, should they be near the top and bottom of the tube?
4. Is it conceivible that the tubes need maintenance and/or repair?
5. If so, how would one access them? My boat has molded in steps that have been bolted to the transom. I suppose, with considerable effort, they could be removed. If I do that, I'll try to re-build the tubes to make them easier to repair.

I look forward to suggestions and additional information!

Thanks,

Bill
Bill and Anna Marie
S/V "Sunshine" PDQ 34002
West Creek, NJ
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Re: Rudder Wobble

Post by Allezcat »

Hi Bill & Anna Marie,

Allezcat, hull#10, has NO bearings in the rudder tubes. I don't think they used bearings until the later boats, if even then.

What I did to cut down steering friction a bit was to put Teflon washers under the quandrants so that the weight of the rudder rides on teflon rather than metal to fiberglass.
The rudder blade should not wobble on the shaft. If it does, I think a major rebuild of the internal structure is necessary.

Good luck with the project,
Chet , Allezcat 36010
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi bill,

a longtime ago i had a similar problem. i ended up reaming the rudder tube oversize to allow the insertion of a teflon bushing.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

It appears that water has penetrated the rudders. I intend to drain the water and then grind and reglass the area where the posts enter the rudders.
I don't know about the older models, but the newer rudders, at least on our hull number, are solid glass and sould not have any water intrusion.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL