Water Heater Again

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Root
skipper
skipper

Water Heater Again

Post by Root »

We used an Excel demand hot water heater located in our aft locker for several seasons. Although reliable at making hot water, we found its location for temperature adjustments, battery replacement and moderate exposure to the elements unacceptable. We bought another water heater on eBay and installed it in the shower. What a difference it made! We now get instant instant hot water and even hot water in the galley. The controls are accessible by the user and there are no more complaints from the crew about too hot or not showers. Although we have a hatch close to the heater, I decided to install a mushroom vent above it for good measure and further reduce the likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning. Photos tell the story. Links below to the eBay items purchased. Glad to answer any questions.

Vent
STAINLESS STEEL BOAT MUSHROOM DECK VENT 003728
Heater
LPG L5 Portable Propane Gas Tankless HOT Water Heaters!

Ray and Paula Reuter, Wind Seeker
Attachments
Water Heater Vent email.JPG
Water Heater Vent email.JPG (100.16 KiB) Viewed 16518 times
Water Heater Head location email 2.JPG
Water Heater Head location email 2.JPG (73.75 KiB) Viewed 16496 times
Water Heater Head location email.JPG
Water Heater Head location email.JPG (91.75 KiB) Viewed 16498 times
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Water Heater Again

Post by James Power »

Hey Root, the install looks great. Have you thought about installing a safety carbon monoxide detector " just in case "? James
Root
skipper
skipper

Post by Root »

Yep, sure have James We had a marine grade one on our previous cat that needed at purchase price equivalent expense calibration periodically. We believe we have ample ventilation in that compartment and feel secure with that arrangement.

We also might remind everyone that those heaters exhaust a tremendous amount of heat. Imagine half dozen propane torches lit simultaneously. I have installed a S/S heat shield above the heater to deter heat damage and mitigate the potential for melt down of the liner and fire. Also the mushroom vent gets very hot. Fortunately it is located in a sheltered location. Photos posted later.

Regards, Ray
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Post by philiprmcgovern »

Ray:

Wow! That's a very slick unit and the price is definitely right. I have some questions:

1. Where did you mount the LP tank? OTOH, did you "T" it into the hose from the tank that supplies your stove?

2. Are using the heater for the galley as well as the shower? If so, how did you plumb it to get the hot water to the galley?

If you get a chance to post some photos of the LP tank installation, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks for letting us know about this little gem.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Our Ecotherm water heater arrived today and I was surprised how well built it seems to be, considering its $129.00 price. When we get back to the boat, I hope to find a way to install it outside the cabin (maybe in the cockpit), but may end up putting it in the shower compartment as Ray did. If it does go in the shower, I do like the muffin vent idea as well as James' suggestion of a CO detector nearby. I have seen what propane can do and it's not pretty.

I'd like to tap into the same 20 lb. LP tank as the one used by the stove. Our tank is in the aft part of the port anchor locker. That would eliminate the need for an extra tank and the heater and the stove could share the same solenoid valve. I'd also like find a way to plumb the heater so that we can also get hot water in the galley sink.

Until we get the kinks out of the new system, we'll probably leave the old electric heater in place. In fact, we may keep it indefinitely for the times when we're plugged in to shore power or able to get hot water off the engine while we're underway. Then, the Ecotherm would only get used when we are on the hook.

Any suggestions or better ideas would be most appreciated.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

Have you had any problems with rusting from shower water?
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

My old heat exchanger water heater sprung a leak and I'd have to take the stbd. liner out to get at it. I decided to go with a propane unit but when I tried to find the Excel or Ecotherm I can't seem to find an active link for purchase. Does anyone have contact info?
Thanks
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Bob:

We got ours off Ebay. Just search on "Eccotemp L5" and you'll find several sellers. Note that it's an Eccotemp and not an Eccotherm -- big difference.

Good luck!

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

I ended up buying the Excel brand because of the oxygen depletion sensor. Nice little unit!
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

I mounted the Excel this weekend. Now I have to get the propane feed from the port rudder locker.
Attachments
excel heater_800x600.jpg
excel heater_800x600.jpg (68.53 KiB) Viewed 15947 times
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace