starting problems after idle period

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

starting problems after idle period

Post by doubledutch »

One of my Yamahas does not like to start after the boat has been sitting for a week or more. I eventually get it running but it is a struggle. Once it runs I can usually restart easily as long as it has not been more than a day between usage.

I put in a carb kit over the winter - it did not help. The choke seems to be working as the engine does the proper high idle and slow down when warm sequence. The fuel filters have been checked. I do believe it is a fuel problem and thought perhaps a fuel pump kit was worth a try.

Thoughts?
Henry
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: starting problems after idle period

Post by Page 83 »

I had the same problem on one engine, I noticed that the squeeze bulb (a rather soft one) had been sucked flat, which indicated to me that there was a restriction in the fuel supply. I took that line off the feed tube on that side of the tank and tee'd off the other feed tube, and that seemed to ease the problem. I think it was related to the spring tension on the check valve or some debris blocking the inlet end of the tube, but removed the tank and sloshed it around a good bit before draining it into glass jugs. There were a few little flakes smaller than a cm, but that was it. This year, with new engines, the same squeeze bulb goes flat, but the engine runs fine.

Thanks Tom for the suggestion. I'm working my way through my kluge harness.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

Thanks Sandy but I don't think that is the issue for me - I replaced the squeeze bulb last year after the check valve locked and knocked out both engines while I was mid channel in the marina - luckily I was able to put someone to work squeezing the bulb and I got going before the wind pushed me into the other boats. The difficult starting on the one engine remained consistent before and after replacing the bulb.

Henry
Knotty Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Knotty Cat »

I have the same problem with both engines.They act like they're starved for fuel. I have found that if I immmediately put them in gear and accelerate they will keep going.
This isn't feasable if on the mooring or at a slip unfortuneatly.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Henry: The squeeze bulb is just a symptom, not the problem. The problem is a restriction in the supply pipe coming out of the tank. Its relatively easy to get to the fuel tank on older boats with a folding bimini; just use the main halyard. On hard top boats it may be more difficult.

Knotty cat: Your idle jets are gummed up on both carbs. By putting the engine in gear and opening the throttle you are running the engines on the primaries. This can be avoided by disconnecting the fuel line from each engine and running the carb bowl dry every time you leave the boat for a week. The cure is to remove the carb and clean out both jets. A past member of POA told me he could pressurize the passages with a long squirt of carb cleaner.

At a mooring you may be able to run the engines in reverse to get them up to heat, which compensates for the idle jet problem.

Wasn't this issue discussed in the old board files?
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
thinwater
admiral
admiral

It is also possible that the change to e-10 has changed....

Post by thinwater »

The mixture. E-10 tends to make engines run a bit lean, so opening the idle screw a good bit may help. You can adjust this on the Canadian engines. On the US engines, it is fixed. Damn.

If the engine starts and runs with one tiny - I mean tiny - puff of starting fluid, this is a suspect. If it starts and dies, it is not.

I also ran my fuel lines lower. That seemed to help.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html