Spare parts for cruising?

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Spare parts for cruising?

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Hi everyone

If you were going cruising, away from well-stocked chandleries, what spare parts would you carry for your Yamaha engines, or for your PDQ in general? I have been told that spares are very expensive in the Caribbean and that it is best to bring some, but what specifically?

If there are any specialized tools required for the installation of the spares could you list those too please.

Thanks,

Mike
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Spare parts for cruising?

Post by SecondWind »

Parts are not only expensive, but sometimes you simply cannot get them. At a minimum you should have a water pump, a spare impeller, a carburetor, CD ignition (complete), spark plugs. ignition wires, fuel pump, all filters, oil, etc. In short if you can replace it, bring spares and any tools needed to do the job. Most "parts" places do not have any parts, just a collection of catalogs. After several weeks of waiting, you enjoy paying high import duties for anything brought in. If you have visitors, have them bring anything you need with them. Keep a handy list of sources you use at home, with phone numbers and e-mail addresses, so that you can order quickly and have parts shipped to you. Again, if it is removable have at least one spare (more would be better). You cannot have too many spares or tools onboard.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention spares for your rigging and sail handling, your windlass, your watermaker, your lighting, your electronics, and anything else you might have onboard.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Thank you Terry!
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

mikeandrebecca wrote:Thank you Terry!
Although I have not cruised so far or out of the country - traveled, yes, but not cruised - I have cruised far and have a few ideas.

The PDQ32 is small. You can't take everything. What things can wait to get fixed? Quite a lot:
* Windlass. Don't have one now.
* Most electronics. I'm sure you will have a spare VHF and GPS.
* Winches. I have 4 and I can sail with 1. Grease them before you go, and every year or 2 there after.
* Engines. You have 2 (three, actually).
* Lines. Common polyester lines are widely available, and you will have some spares. Watch for chafe.
* Rigging. Inspect it before you go and keep a good eye out.
* Water. You can easily bail from the tank.

That doesn't mean I don't believe in spares:
* The engine list was good. Add a spare prop. Lower slowly and always make sure it is locked down.
* Head. Joker valve, at least, more like 3. Easy to replace. Check the hoses and replace if cracked before you go.
* A roll of screen cloth. My PO had a bunch of spare screens, but they are easy to replace with scissors and glue.
* Dingy patch kit
* Shear pins for tender engine
* Propane solenoid
* Coils of small line (1/8", 1/4", 5/16") for MANY things. Can be old stuff.
* Coil of small SS wire
* Some shackles
* Cotter pins
* Cable ties
* Waterproof grease
* Spare autopilot belt (2)
* Small bit of rubber (inner tube?) to make gaskets
* A spare anchor (3 total). Guess how I know.
* Bulbs for everything. The one's is the head and cabins don't last at all, so take 10 of those. The others do much better.

And then there are the tools:
* Wrenches and ratchets (1/4" and 3/8" drive with extentions), US and metric, plus allen keys (both ) and screwdrivers.
* Pliers (several types) vice grips (several types) Pipe wrench (standard 10" and 10" chain wrench) and filter wrenches as needed (I have Raycor filters - you may not need this).
* Medium file
* Electric drill with bits and a sanding pad
* Epoxy, glass, sand paper, and some chip brushes
* Pint of varnish for touch-up. I'm no perfectionist, but some dings will happen and they will get ugly fast. Gelcoat dings I don't worry about!
* 3M4200 or such
* An assortment of SS screws, washers, and bolts
* Multimeter, spare wire, crimping supplies, and wire nuts (non-code - emergencies only)
* Gray butyl rubber for bedding small leaks
* Teflon tape or dope
* Hose clamps
* Sail repair kit
* Carb cleaner (spray). Not just for carbs.
* Spray lube (coor block)
* Starting fluid... or is that a basic material? Perhaps not in warm climates.
* Duct tape!

The nav station is now a work area (I replaced the table with a smaller one I can walk by and scratch up) and a lot of the small stuff stays in plastic parts trays (the ~ 10"x12" flat ones with lids - 3 fit) in the nav station chart rack, along with some charts.

I think I could go pretty far on this simple list, though I carry more.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Excellent list!