Bent Rudder

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
next exit
skipper
skipper

Bent Rudder

Post by next exit »

Having found Next Exit bouncing off the rocks on the shore, I was sleeping peacefully on board till then, I now have a bent rudder and once back in Fl will need to have straightened so any advice would be most appreciated.
Don Wilson
Next Exit
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Re: Bent Rudder

Post by eepstein »

Ouch! I feel for you. I bent both rudders in late 2008.

Here is the link to the PDQ Forum posting - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1632&p=5261#p5261
It describes the idea we came up with to use a come-along to crank the rudders back in place. Sandy also had a bent rudder and his needed more creativity. But he and James figured it out.

Prior to the idea of using the come-along, a contractor at the marina gave me a quote to 1) lift the boat, 2) remove the rudder, 3) heat and bend the shaft, 3) remount the rudder, for $3,500 per rudder.

Hope this is useful. Obviously the experts are Sandy and James.

Good luck and please let us know if you come up with a unique solution.

Eric
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Correction: James is the expert. Sandy is the cheerleader.

(picture that!)
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Hey Don, I've bent so many rudders I've considered reanaming the boat "Bent Rudder".

I laid the rudder blade flat against a concrete block wall and used Tapcons to fasten a 2X4 along the top edge of the blade. I purchased a piece of galvanized pipe whose inner diameter was about the same as the outer diameter of the rudder stock. This pipe is 6' long. I then used a car hydralic jack near the end of the pipe to jack up vertically against the pipe until the rudder stock was true(straight). This involved going slightly past the point needed as there is some "spring back". This only works for straightening in the fore-aft direction but seems to work quite well as the stainless is quite a bit softer than I had imagined. If you try this, I suggest getting the outside pipe near the bend so when you staighten it, it does not bend somewhere else in an "S" pattern. To staighten side bends I have blocked the rudder with 2X4's and driven the car over it! Crude, but it worked. Simon had cautioned me against cutting and welding as this changes the properties of the steel making it more susecptible to corrosion.

Good Luck,
Chet
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

I'm having trouble picturing this chet. Could you send me a picture?

sandydaugherty@att.net
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Page 83 wrote:Correction: James is the expert. Sandy is the cheerleader.

(picture that!)

Just don't send any pictures of this! :shock:
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

Mine is a sideways bend. Hope i don't have to buy a heavier car.
Hauling tomorrow.
Don Wilson
Next Exit