Twists in the jib sheet

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
TomKat
deckhand
deckhand

Twists in the jib sheet

Post by TomKat »

My jib sheet gets twists in it behind the block of the self tending jib clew. Once a few twists are present the line will not slide over each other and the jib car will not move to the correct position. Twisting the bl0ck doesn't help, it just twists back up again. I undo the knot at the jib track, smooth out all the twists, reattach the line and it's fine for a few sails, then they come back again. What's up with that!? Any suggestions? If I have to replace the jib sheet, is there a line type not prone to twisting? Do you know how long it needs to be on a 32'?

THANKS! TomKat 32011
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Twists in the jib sheet

Post by amytom »

Try swapping the line end for end. Might save the expense of the new line.
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

There should be a set screw on the swivel of the jib block. Setting the screw locks the swivel and use to help with the twisting issues. James
TomKat
deckhand
deckhand

Post by TomKat »

Thanks for the ideas! All my running rigging appears to be original (1995) so I'm probably due for some new line anyway but I will try the swapping out ends before my next line purchase. The jib block at the clew of my headsail spins on its shackle easily so I don't think it's a hardware issue but I will check to be sure and put a drop of lubricant there just to be sure. Thanks again.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. I talked to another 32' owner this winter and he had the same issue so I don't think this is an isolated case.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I think James was suggesting you lock the pivot so it doesn't rotate at all. If it doesn't rotate it can't wind up on itself, right?
TomKat
deckhand
deckhand

Post by TomKat »

Boy, would that be an easy fix..........when was the last time that happened?! I'm not going to be on the boat for a few months but I'll give it a try and post the results (if I remember!).
fredandkathy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by fredandkathy »

I meant to post this when I replaced my jib sheet, along with all my running rigging, several months ago but.... anyway, the twists no longer exists. I think the lines were all original and everything works nicely now with new lines.