Bow Seats for PDQ 36

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Root
skipper
skipper

Bow Seats for PDQ 36

Post by Root »

We always wanted places to sit in the bow and we had them on our previous cat. Of course we didn’t want to spend a lot of money. The following design was achieved at less than $100 cost while keeping function and minimizing weight forward.

The first thing we did early on in anticipation of bow seats and to strengthen the bow rails was to brace the forward pulpits laterally to minimize the safety line droop forward. This droop was exasperated by the installation of two additional turning blocks for the roller furling. To reduce the tripping hazard (the line lead directly across the trampoline to the furling drum) we added turning blocks paralleling the hull shape and up the pulpit there by giving a fairlead up the forward rail then to the furling gear.

The seats are mounted between the pulpit rails over the bows. We wanted as simple and robust a design as practicable as well as the ability of benefit of pivoting them out of the way for access to the forward cleats and anchor roller.

I think the photos best tell the story and all parts are available from marine suppliers. We used ½ inch Starboard for the seat which we had to later reinforce with a wooden stiffener. We had lots of the ½ stuff so………. However, I recommend you spring for the ¾ inch Starboard if you want to build bow seats like ours and forgo the stiffener. We will gladly entertain your questions. I believe, as the skipper, if the first mate likes the project, you have a winner. We are limited to just 3 images here but detailed fabrication images will be published in the newsletter.
Attachments
Fairleads and Bracing
Fairleads and Bracing
Fairleads Furling Drum.JPG (184 KiB) Viewed 13599 times
First Mate is Happy
First Mate is Happy
Mama Likes Her New Seats.jpg (153.72 KiB) Viewed 13596 times
The Seat
The Seat
Seat.jpg (160.45 KiB) Viewed 13593 times
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Re: Bow Seats for PDQ 36

Post by eepstein »

The newsletter is underway. Bonnie wants seats even more now.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Bow Seats for PDQ 36: Pulpit rails still available for refit

Post by maxicrom »

Probably James is the person who would know, if the forward pulpits are still available - our model is the older style where the lifelines go from deck up to the first post (stantion). It would be nice to be able to have forward lifelines (and possibly bow seats), there are many days we are waitnig for one of the dogs to slide right over crossmember.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Re: Bow Seats for PDQ 36

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Here is how we did ours. I bent a rail myself and attached a cross rail to hold the seat. I removed the forward-most lifeline stanchion and attached the aft end of the new rail section to that stanchion mount. I added a new stanchion mount to attach the forward end of the new rail and then attached the seat to that new rail. Then I attached the lifelines directly to the new rail section. Picture shows it much better than I am explaining it.

Sam
Attachments
100_1648.JPG
100_1648.JPG (617.84 KiB) Viewed 13498 times
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL