Cutting in Inspection ports in 1990 34'

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
lauraj
1st mate
1st mate

Cutting in Inspection ports in 1990 34'

Post by lauraj »

We need to empty water out of the forward and rear compartments. We will need to cut in inspection ports to do this.
I am having to give instructions to the yard in Grenada to do this. I will not be able to be part of this repair.

Is it better to put holes high in the closet on interior bulkhead or in the bottom of the lockers?
part of me wants easier access of the closets, while the other part does not want possible failure inside the hull. (so put it in the locker)

can anyone tell me how far back from the bow (in the chain lockers) or how far down from the deck (in the forward closet) the hole should be cut?
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Re: Cutting in Inspection ports in 1990 34'

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi, my inspection plate is 4' back from the bow inside the chain locker. I also have a plate up high, near where the hull intersect with the deck, that gives access to the dead area forward of the main cabins. The rear plates are 5' from bottom stern step, in the floor of the steering quadrent locker. Since your boat is a 34', the distance back will be different. Be careful to not cut into the holding tank. Keep in mind, not all of the early boats have the same configuration. Hope this helps.
Marc