Bomar PortLights

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Bomar PortLights

Post by carib sailor »

Hello Folks

I have an older 36 with four Bomar Portlights, one in each stateroom, one in the head, and one in the aft cabin.

One of the latches that hold the portlight closed broke. These are the lever type latches that are held in place with a single (allen head) bolt. They swing up to latch.
Bomar Hatch Lever
Bomar Hatch Lever
Bomar Latch.jpg (32.98 KiB) Viewed 15195 times
Bomar have not been helpful.

Anybody have a part number or better yet a source for replacement latches for the older Bomar portlights that were used on so many PDQ's over the years?
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Bomar PortLights

Post by James Power »

Hey carib sailor,

I feel your pain. Unfortunately I do not have any part numbers for you. Sourcing out parts and finding that the company is out of buisness, doesn't care, can't find what you are after, or they no longer stock your obsolete request due to their updated design, is a day in the life for us. Have you tried forwarding the picture to Bomar customer service? Failing that I would try second hand marine outfits such as Sailor Man in Ft. Lauderdale, or Marine Connection in Ft. Pierce Florida.

Hope this helps
James
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Post by carib sailor »

Hi James

I did indeed send photos to Bomar. I waited a few days and when they hadn't replied to my email I sent the email again.
After more than a week without a reply I had to phone them. I am in the southern Caribbean and the cell phone call was not inexpensive. (Internet down here is often way too slow for Skype). Seems that Bomar either sold every single one of the replacement latches that they had in stock, or they threw them all away, or they just can't help me.They wouldn't even provide a part number for the latch so that I could search for it.

For want of a simple latch, I am facing replacing a port light...and will have to either live with 1 unmatched port light or replace them all to make things look right. Very disappointing.

I have owned this boat for 10+ years and this is the first time I have had an issue with any supplier being unable or unwilling to provide a part that I needed. Not even a part number was offered.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas as to where I might find a left side latch (the opposite latch to the one in the photo above which is the right side latch) for a Bomar N5515 port light I would be most appreciative.

Meanwhile I guess it's time to start contacting sailor man, etc.

BY the way, PDQ is well represented down here in the southern Caribbean. Right now there are 3 x 36's and 2 x 42/44's in the bay where I am anchored, and a 32 and a 34 nearby that I know of as well as a 34 Power Cat...all within a couple of miles of each other.

That's 8 PDQ's that have traveled thousands of miles to do boat maintenance in paradise! :)
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I'd be surprised if some enterprising machinist couldn't make a few from nylon or HDPE. It looks like a simple job, certainly several in an hour so you have a few spares. Far easier than replacing a hatch and stronger than new, if you consider letting him beef up the dimensions just a little where it broke. It will seem a lot for a small bit of plastic, but....

I've found making parts for old boats can be less stressful than hunting them down, depending on complexity.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

Try http://www.hollandmarine.com/ they purchased a lot of PDQ inventory.

MIDORI
Brian