AC refrigerant

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

AC refrigerant

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi, Does anyone know if a 12500 btu Cruisair air cond. can be recharged with an auto parts store kit? Trying to see ifI can do it myself.
Marc
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: AC refrigerant

Post by SecondWind »

It can, with some caveats. I rebuilt two of ours. #1-the drain pans were rusted through-I fiber-glassed them. #2-there were several small leaks in the tubing-these were soldered and repaired. The system was tested by putting 100psi of compressed air in and soap mixture to see if it bubbled outside. We found a couple of more, repaired them and re-tested. #3- a vacuum was pulled on the entire system to dry it thoroughly before we re-introduced R-12 refrigerant (you'll need to use the same refrigerant that was in the system originally and you will need the same lubricant also). This is all possible if the compressor is sound. I would try adding some canned auto store product followed up with a soap bubble test for leaks. If you don't find any you are probably good to go.⛵
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Re: AC refrigerant

Post by Marc Gershel »

Thanks, Terry. I don't think I have the know-how or equipment for this, so I think I'll get a tech for this one. Thanks for the info.
Marc