Refrigeration

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
bg5w
skipper
skipper

Refrigeration

Post by bg5w »

I have an Adler Barbour cold machine. Had a technician over to refill the r-134 (I'm still a novice on refrigeration systems), and there is inconsistent flow through the evaporator, indicating a partial block. Sometimes you hear the refrigerant gurgling through, but most times not. It is not cooling. I suggested replacing just the evaporator, but he said the whole unit would have to be replaced. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this? Even if I could replace just the evaporator, does it make sense to attach to an old compressor, or better to bite the bullet, and replace the whole unit?

Bob Gruber
Island Time 32
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Refrigeration

Post by SecondWind »

If the tech did not pull a vacuum on the system of at least 30 minutes before filling, you may have water freezing to ice and blocking the refrigerant flow.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
bg5w
skipper
skipper

Post by bg5w »

Thanks Terry,

I assume water got in from the atmosphere when the tubing was originally connected? If so, how does one remove said water? I guess the 30 minute vacuum would do the trick. Adler Barbour now uses quick connect type couplings, I assume to reduce this from happening.

bob Gruber
Island Time 32
bg5w
skipper
skipper

Post by bg5w »

As information, I did choose to buy a new Adler Barbour cold machine - air cooled - about $1200 from Defender. I also searched down the original gasket for the top loading ice boxes. It can be purchased from McMaster Carr - item no:

1 8507K54
Rubber Edge Trim 3/16" Inside Width, 3/8" Inside Height, 10 ft. Length 1
each today 14.30
each 14.30

Bob Gruber
Island Time 32
bg5w
skipper
skipper

Post by bg5w »

please disregard that last post - ordered the wrong thing for the refrigeration door seal. the correct part is:

1 each 1120A222 Weather-Resistant Vinyl Edge-Grip with EPDM Seal with 7/16" Diameter Bulb on Top, Fits 1/8" Edge, 10 ft. Length today $15.70 each 15.70

Bob Gruber
Island Time 32