replacing screen in Bomar hatches

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
deising
admiral
admiral

replacing screen in Bomar hatches

Post by deising »

We have the large Bomar hatches in our MV 34 and the screen material needs replacing. I have re-screened often before, but was amazed to find that the construction of these screen frames doesn't let you install the spline all the way around the perimeter. It wold seem that the screen material is installed during the manufacturing process and it is essentially impossible to duplicate without damaging the frame.

Unless I get another idea from some of you, I plan to use some silicone caulk to seal up the 2 inch section where you cannot install the spline.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: replacing screen in Bomar hatches

Post by duetto »

hi,

i did this repair years ago. we have an early boat (#23) so bomar may have changed their construction, but i'll describe what i did.

the frame is joined in a butt with a small aluminum "plug" where the spline would be. i drilled out whatever held that in place. i installed new screening in the spline groove and then re-installed the aluminum plug and used aluminum pop rivets to secure it. then i stretched the screen and resplined. imho, i really don't think you can tell the rebuild from original.

it been a long time since i did this but this was the general procedure.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Thanks, John. I was contemplating drilling out the dimples that hold the thin aluminum framing to the butt splice, but wasn't sure of a good way to resecure it. The pop rivet idea sounds like a winner.

This is a great forum to get help from other owners; much appreciated.

Duane
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Job is done with the rivets as John suggested. It worked, but I can't see why Bomar elected to design the screen frame that way. Thanks again for the good tip!
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

glad to help :)
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23