Repainting center aluminum window frame

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
deising
admiral
admiral

Repainting center aluminum window frame

Post by deising »

Our 2006 MV34 has the paint flaking off portions of the aluminum center opening window. That is a common problem with all aluminum structures, especially near any dissimilar metal, like the SS hinges.

I know that it takes a lot of the PROPER prep to have a hope the new paint will stick for a while. Has anyone done this successfully and wish to share the method?
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Repainting center aluminum window frame

Post by SecondWind »

Duane. You will need to surface prep very carefully. I suggest a product use on airplanes: Alumagrip (there may be a boat version)
Here is a link: http://aviocom.info/Akzo/AkzoNobel_Alumigrip-fact1.pdf
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Thanks, Terry. I will check it out.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

I thought I would report my progress on this project. After reading many articles on painting aluminum, I came to the conclusion that I would be very lucky to have the job last any length of time before peeling and flaking again, so I went an entirely different route.

Rather than look at the unsightly grayish aluminum where the paint had peeled (only near the SS hinges due to the dissimilar metal), I made the surface as smooth as I could and applied white adhesive vinyl, then trimmed around the frame with an Exacto knife. I did not take the vinyl all the way around, but only came down about 4 inches from the top to cover the bad spots. It passes the 6 foot test very nicely (from 6 feet away, you would be hard pressed to see that the sheet is there and not original paint).
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Post by DickTuschick »

Hi Duane,
Just saw your posting from last year on the window corrosion.
Yes, everyone sooner or later is going to have that issue. After some research I decided to use a product that is available here in Stuart called "Signature"
Paint. I think it is really Emron 3 part poly paint but not sure. The bottom line is that the owner of the company was very familiar with what needed to be done. He recommended sanding smooth then applying "Sno Bowl" to etch the surface and get it really down to bear metal and then apply several coats of the Signature paint. It has really worked well. After a year and a half it looks perfect and you cannot tel that I touched up the frame. He offers the paint by the ounce so you only need a small quantity. It goes on very thin, dries rock hard and requires several coats to cover.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Found this old topic... thought it might be the best place to ask for advice.

I’ve got a small amount of corrosion to deal with on the aluminum frame of a couple of our windows on our 2006 PDQ. I came across this forum chat on this topic. The process I've used before for this issue involved: sanding, applying Yellow Zinc Phosphate Primer and Epiphanes High Gloss Ultra White enamel paint (it is a “good” color match). It lasted about about 3 years. Not bad, but I was searching for better methods. I found this article and it sounds encouraging: <https://avalonking.com/blog/into-the-pi ... corrosion/"

"In order to remove said “metallic cancer” from an aluminum surface, most people will take one of two approaches. The first, and perhaps most appealing, is a highly acidic, easy-to-make, super affordable, all-natural aluminum oxidation remover of unrestrained awesomeness. By combining distilled water with either pure lemon juice or white vinegar, and then gently agitating the corroded area with a mild scrubbing pad, most mild cases of aluminum corrosion can be removed. To create this magical elixir, simply combine a quart of distilled water with two tablespoons of an acidic liquid of your choosing, and stir. With a little bit of elbow grease, ample amounts of exposure time, and a dash of luck, you should be able to remove most garden variety forms of aluminum corrosion."

Any fresh thoughts or insights on how to deal with aluminum corrosion?
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229