Dirty Sunsure Curtains

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Semi-Local
skipper
skipper

Dirty Sunsure Curtains

Post by Semi-Local »

Hi folks,

Diana and I added vinyl Sunsure shade curtains and Sunbrella awnings to m/v Semi-Local last year.

They are white (I know …) … but we've had white curtains and awnings before and they've never gotten this filthy, this quickly. Seems like they need a THOROUGH cleaning every few months.

See attached picture.

The vinyl curtains are getting a consistent drainage off the flybridge eyebrow, thinking of adding some gutter material, but don't know if this is a significant contributor or not.

Anything similar in your worlds?

Ideas, modifications, etc.?

Thanks,

Mark
Attachments
sunsure.jpg
sunsure.jpg (88.73 KiB) Viewed 9450 times
Mark & Diana Doyle
Semi-Local
PDQ MV 34 Hull 88, formerly PDQ 36 Capella Hull 36090

On the Water ChartGuides Cruising Guides & Electronic Charts
www.OnTheWaterChartGuides.com
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Dirty Sunsure Curtains

Post by duetto »

hi mark,

welcome to the club! we've had the exact same problem for 8 years now. i've tried making gutters but never got them quite right. we've just resigned ourselves to washing after rainstorms. btw, it's worse in the states than bahamas so i guess dirt in the air is a factor.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Semi-Local
skipper
skipper

Post by Semi-Local »

Yeah, wasn't taking it personal. Figured everyone was in the same boat (oooops!). [smile]

Thinking of trying this gutter material completely around the eyebrow, draining back to aft deck:

http://rvgutters.com/ezemarinegutters.aspx

Used this stuff on our 36 PDQ sailing cat to channel the water away from the cockpit helm.

What kind of gutters did you try?
Mark & Diana Doyle
Semi-Local
PDQ MV 34 Hull 88, formerly PDQ 36 Capella Hull 36090

On the Water ChartGuides Cruising Guides & Electronic Charts
www.OnTheWaterChartGuides.com
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

We have the same problem. White Wall cleaner for tires helps.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

remember my point of reference is a 2003. with that said, i believe the problem comes from the 2 drains from the fly-bridge located in the corners of the drop down foot-well. depending on how hard it's raining (or hosing) the water shoots out different distances and therefore makes designing a catch gutter and drain more difficult. i used 3/4" vinyl U-channel. i used 2 pieces: 1) i attached to backside of the fly-bridge overhang from in front of rear window to where fly-bridge begins to curve at the stern. this has worked well to stop runoff from fly-bridge. 2) i glued the same channel to topside above windows behind fly-bridge overhang running from in front of the aforementioned drains rearward to where cabin sides curve. this is where i learned that not all water drains down the sides of the cabin. i'm sure this can be solved but i moved on to other projects.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

I have never used white wall cleaner, don't know if it has bleach or not. I use Greased Lightning with elbow grease with good results. Bleach rots the thread.