36 with daggerboards?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
duetto
admiral
admiral

36 with daggerboards?

Post by duetto »

hi all,

we were in spanish wells, bahamas last week and we passed a cat that appeared to be a pdq 36 but had daggerboards sticking up thru the side decks. was i seeing things?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Re: 36 with daggerboards?

Post by carib sailor »

PDQ Express Cruiser - circa 2000 maybe?

http://www.multihull-maven.com/Boats/PD ... ss_Cruiser

Powered with outboards. Many modifications when compared to the Capella in order to save weight and make the boat faster.

There is also an early PDQ36 Classic that was modified in western Ontario, adding dagger boards. I believe the owner did the mods, perhaps with factory consultation.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Done by the company owners as their racing boat.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
admiral
deckhand
deckhand

Post by admiral »

Hello I own the 36 with boards which is on the hard here in Toronto ,unless some one else modified an other one which would be almost impossible as a retro fit .It sails very well and we have done well in regattas against F boats and the like .The boards are carbon and can be adjusted under load because of Simons great design. best speed under chute 18.3,close reach 12 with #2
upwind just over 9 but that was flat water tacks at less than 90 .the picture in the multi maven link is correct
David Slater
Delphine 3697
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi david,

there must be another one. we saw it yet again in marsh harbour, abaco thursday. if it's not a pdq it's a carbon copy!
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
admiral
deckhand
deckhand

Post by admiral »

wow If you can send a photo that would be cool .I am not doubting you but am interested .To convert you would have to cut off the keel stubs which would damage the integrity of the hull and be a huge amount of work not to mention all the inside destruction .I wonder if some one splashed a mould .it just seems like so much work. The daggerboard would not survive made out of wood (to slim) .That said if it is a PDQ it did not come from the factory we are 3697 and they only went to 3699
"very interesting" as Shultz would say
David
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

sorry david, we're in fl out of water. second time we passed we were making time to get back to fl.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
admiral
deckhand
deckhand

Post by admiral »

no problem I am going to ask around ,also my wife and I are thinking of selling and moving up a few feet
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Its been a couple of years, but I remember seeing a boat that looked very much like a 36, but seemed to be bigger. I think it was in the Spanish Virgins.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026