Davit failures

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
LookingGlass
deckhand
deckhand

Davit failures

Post by LookingGlass »

I've read here of several early model davits that have failed. Since we're getting ready to upgrade our dinghy and motor (heavier), I wonder about strengthening my davits. Can anyone tell me where the early davits have failed? They look pretty strong to my eye. Is it the stainless that fails, or the fiberglass ledge on which the davits sit? Thanks for the help.
Mark Richter, Ortona, FL
"Looking Glass", 2002 MV34, 75hp
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Davit failures

Post by duetto »

hi mark,

we had a davit failure about 7 years ago. the davit failed by collapsing (albeit not completely). i believe that on the early boats (we're #23) the davits had thin wall ss with not a lot of reinforcing at the bends. we were carrying a 9'6" ab with a 15 hp 2 stroke. being honest we didn't have it strapped down super tight and the waves were steep and close. so i guess it depends on what you plan to carry.

we replaced them with st croix davits rated at 450 lbs.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

I can't comment on the early PDQ davit weaknesses, but I know that making sure the load (the dinghy) is securely strapped and cross-tied to minimize any dynamic loading is critical. Dynamic loads can be over twice the static load.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I used to own hull # 108 and the davits were strong. I left the drain plug in my dingy once and it completely filled with water with no issues except my embarassment.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Cat Daddy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Cat Daddy »

I had a davit failure in April. On the Neuse River in a fairly rough chop. The dink had lost some air over a few days and was not secured as well as normal. The swinging motion certainly makes the problem worse. The engine side collapsed in the main tube at the lower bend. It was repaired at Atlantic Yacht Basin by their SS welding contractor. He did a great job by replacing the tube with another that is twice as thick, reusing the original bracing and mounts.

If I were planning to solve this problem before it happens, I would consider St. Croix davits. I saw a set that are installed on PDQ hull #34, "Beach Magic", and they look like a massive improvement in strength & usability.

Rafe
Rafe Williams
"Cat Daddy"
MV34 #32
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

Mark. I had a failed davit experience with the 'older' style davit (I have hull number 76). Do a forum search for my May 19, 2012 posting on failure with pictures and Sept 01, 2012 resolution. I currently carry a 9'3" RIB with 70 lb motor without any issues.

John Sawyer
Katlin
MV34/076
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I wonder if dinghies have gotten heavier; RIBs were rare back when, and a 9.9 was a big engine. Did they come with specs?

Fortunately the PDQ 32 davits are ridiculously strong. I carry a dinghy, 2 kayaks, and sometimes walk on them too.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

Our failure was at the elbow (old style davits) which we subsequently had reinforced (by original davit manufacturer in Canada) with a box style brace welded to reinforce the elbow. Never any issues with fiberglass mounting platform.

John Sawyer
Katlin MV 76
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Post by DickTuschick »

The davits that were supplied by the factory were rated at about 150 lbs and they recommended that a dinghy and motor of less than 100lbs be used. We tested these davits by hanging 150 lbs on each one (with a little springing on them and had no failures) However....as noted in another posting that is static load. The real problem comes in when the dinghy is not secured properly and a lateral "shock" load can occur equal to MANY hundreds of pounds from an angle which the davits were not designed to handle. So....the dinghy MUST be secured properly or failure is highly probable. A dinghy that is secured properly should not have more than one inch of lateral movement. This can easily be achieved by using ratchet straps in an X configuration and then "socking in" the bow and stern.
In the case of the PDQ 41, different davits were supplied with the boat but the problem was identical. Failures occurred...always due to the dinghy not being secured properly.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

I have a 2006 PDQ Cat. I believe this is about the year PDQ upgraded the davit structure. Ours seems very strong. However, I totally agree with Dick -- "the dinghy MUST be secured properly or failure is highly probable. A dinghy that is secured properly should not have more than one inch of lateral movement. This can easily be achieved by using ratchet straps in an X configuration and then "socking in" the bow and stern."

After hearing and seeing pictures of this "X configuration" method for securing the dinghy from some other PDQ owners, I started doing it immediately. I used dock lines instead of ratchet straps due to the absence of a tie-down ring inside the bow of our dinghy. The rope method is almost as good as what I imagine can be done with ratchet straps. It virtually eliminates lateral movement. I use a 3rd line that pulls and snugs the dinghy to the vertical upright poles in the davit structure to reduce fore/aft movement. This combination was well tested in some 5-6 upwind runs in open water in 4-5' very choppy seas recently. The dinghy was steady and moved with the boat's movement -- which is exactly what you want.
Attachments
IMG_2427.B.jpg
IMG_2425-B.jpg
IMG_2428.B.jpg
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Tricing lines are even better. I have had tackle failures that dropped the dinghy in the water underway. Not fun.

Now I can actually release the lifting tackle and the dinghy stays. No motion either.

Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

Hi Mark

Do a search of this powercat forum for my postings of May 12 and Sept 1, both in 2012. Be pleased to answer any Qs they don't answer.

John Sawyer
Katlin