How to secure dinghy

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

How to secure dinghy

Post by AMCarter3 »

Has anyone come up with a really good way to secure their RIB dingy to effectively minimize movement when underway? Here's how I'm doing it now.
Attachments
IMG_2194.jpeg
IMG_2199.jpeg
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: How to secure dinghy

Post by deising »

I use nylon web ratchet straps with SS ratchet hardware (the hooks are just plastic coated carbon steel). They stop all athwartship sway, but I need to use a vertical line from a handle on the dinghy tube to the davit crossbar to stop and rocking motion when the boat pitches in a seaway.
Double-click the pics to enlarge for better viewing.
Diva Di dinghy straps.jpg
Diva Di dinghy straps 2.jpg
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Hi Mac,

I don't have a great picture right now, but I'll try and describe how we do it:
- ensure the aft end of the tube closest to your vessel's stern is positioned inside the davit support (in your picture you have it on the outside); this is very important to stop any side to side movement of the dinghy.
- using adjustable tie-down straps, we bring the dingy as close in to structure of the davit system as possible, with the inside tube snug up against the back of the seat structure; the hooks of the tie straps are hooked into the dinghy's lifting eyes (inside at the stern; outside at the bow), with the strap wrapped around the davit system's lower horizontal bar (i.e. the one that supports the front of the seat).
- we use one ten foot strap on the stern, and two six foot straps at the bow.
- if we are anticipating particularly rough conditions we will add two more tie straps cross-wise, one from the dinghy's inside stern eye to the port (opposite) side of the davit structure, and one from the inside bow eye to the starboard side of the structure.

With the straps securely fastened we have no concerns about the security of the dingy or davit system. This arrangement has served us well and without incident over thousands of miles and in all sea conditions.

If you would like I can take a couple of pictures when I'm next at the boat and send them to you.

John
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

All,

I have attached pictures of the way ours is rigged. It is a 9'1" Caribe with a 9.9hp 2 stroke. We have only had our PDQ about six months and have not been in really rough water so this is a good learning and idea subject for me. We slightly deflate the tubes and prop the rear tube on davit with a bow and stern line. So far, no issues.

I did notice in the pictures from Mac and Duane the outboards are mounted on the dinghy while in the davits. We remove our motor before lifting and after lowering the dinghy. It is fairly heavy on it's own, about 150 pounds. Any thoughts? Could we leave it mounted when traveling?

John, please post your pictures here on the forum so we can all see how you are rigging your dinghy.
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed.jpg
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Thanks to both of you. Very helpful.

John, if you could take a couple of pics at your convenience, I would appreciate seeing how you do it. Sounds like both of you rely on adjustable straps to secure your dinghy.

Duane... separate question... your two pictures show what looks like some kind of screen material at the back of aft seat. Could you tell me what it is and how you fastened it? Also, did you also use it or something else to close the gap between the deck and bottom of the aft seat? (I start another topic to discuss this.
Mac Carter
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Alan,

RE: your outboard question... yes, I leave our outboard on the dinghy. It's a small, lightweight 2.3 HP air cooled Honda. Weighs about 30 lbs. It's enough power to get around. Ultra low 3 star CARB emissions - Environmentally conscious technology. See: http://marine.honda.com/outboards/motor-detail/BF2.3
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 8.18.50 AM.png
Mac Carter
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Our 9.9 four-stroke engine weights 90 pounds and we have always left it on (over 8000 miles at this point and in some very rough conditions), HOWEVER, the key is to absolutely minimize any dynamic loading. The dinghy must be strapped down tight and frankly, nylon webbing with ratchet hardware is far superior for that than any ropes you can tie.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

I would second Duane's points:
- adjustable nylon straps are far superior to ropes to ensure the dinghy is secure.
- a securely attached dinghy that will not move, even in rough conditions, is key to avoiding potentially serious problems.

We recently replaced our 8 hp Yamaha 2-stroke with a 15 hp Suzuki 4-stroke. The new motor is 97 lbs, still light enough to leave on the dinghy all the time (although I now secure the gas tank under the mid seat for better weight balance). When we purchased His Idea it was recommended to keep the combined tender and motor weight at no more than 200 lbs, which is about what we now have. With the 'newer' PDQ davit design I think it's possible to safely go above this weight limit (within reason).

Alan, it looks like your davit system is of the older design. If so my comments about maximum weight and the set up we use to secure our dinghy may not apply as well to your situation.

I plan to visit the boat within the next few days and will take some pictures that I can post.

John
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

John,

Thanks for the reinforcing comments on using straps. Could you please send photos showing how you strap your dinghy down. I also want to see the davit system on your boat. Alan's and Duane's pics appear to show the same davit that I have... which I thought was the reinforced system that arrived in 2006 (the year of our 34' PDQ boat). I want to see how your davit is different from Alan's and Duane's.
Mac Carter
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I like tricing lines. Not only do they stop movement, they also back-up the lifting mechanism, something straps do not. Yup, shackles and blocks do fail.

These could certainly be made of webbing and ratchet straps if that is what you like for a heavier dinghy.

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2010/ ... ed-up.html

Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Thanks, Tom. Your davit is very different from mine (2006). What year is your boat?
Mac Carter
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi all,

we have a 10'6" west marine with a 15 hp yamaha 2 stroke on st croix davits. we use a nylon ratchet strap to pull the tube into the davit. we have padeyes on bow & stern which have 4 part block and tackles going to the stanchion bases on toe rail. these totally prevent any side sway.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

John, could you please send some pics showing how you set the ratchet straps? I'm seeing a pattern now about the effectiveness of using the ratchet straps.
Mac Carter
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Great discussion all.

Does anyone know when PDQ went from old style to the new style davits? We have a 2006, hull #81 and I am not sure what we have.
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Alan,

I'm not sure when PDQ made the switch in 2006, however when I look at the second picture you posted (of the rear of the tube butting up against two stanchions) it appears different than mine, i.e. I have only one stainless steel tube there, as in the first picture that Mac posted to start this thread. This is what led me to think you had the older style design. Do you know if any modifications have been made to your system, perhaps to strengthen it?

I plan to visit the boat tomorrow and should have some pictures to post by tomorrow evening.

John