Fuel tank leakage

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
LookingGlass
deckhand
deckhand

Fuel tank leakage

Post by LookingGlass »

After transferring fuel from the fwd to the aft tank, I forgot to close the transfer valves. Fuel apparently siphoned from fwd to aft, filling the aft tank to the very top and then some. One or more of the aft tank top penetrations wasn't adequately sealed, and I discovered a layer of fuel on the top of the tank and probably dribbling down the sides. I've thoroughly cleaned the tank top, but the diesel odor won't go away after several months.

Any ideas about accessing the tank bottom area for cleaning, or how to eliminate the odor? If I drilled a hole in the sponsons from the outside below the tank, would trapped diesel drain out?
Mark Richter, Ortona, FL
"Looking Glass", 2002 MV34, 75hp
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Fuel tank leakage

Post by James Power »

Hey Mark,

Drilling holes into the fuel tank compartment sounds scary. To remove diesel fuel in the tank compartment in the past I have removed the fiberglass fairings that are glues to the bulkheads and the top of the tank at the forward and aft ends. This allows access to the cavity between the bulkheads and the tank front and back sides. We would then use a combination of engine room diapers to absorb fuel and a wet / dry vacuum to suck out as much as possible.
This shows the importance of closing all the transfer valves after use. It will also helps to keep the transfer pump primed so it doesn't become air locked.

Hope this helps
James
coast2coast
deckhand
deckhand

Post by coast2coast »

Adding to what James said, Stuart Yacht used a product called De-Oil-It in my boat when I had a similar problem. After cleaning and removing as much fuel as possible by conventional methods they saturated the area with De-Oil-It and it neutralized any remaining fuel and odor that couldn't be accessed otherwise. You may want to apply the same treatment to the port bilge as well since that is where I first noticed leaked fuel from the tank area was accumulating.
Regards,
John Watts
Gold Looper 10/11/16
http://c2ccruises.blogspot.com/
LookingGlass
deckhand
deckhand

Post by LookingGlass »

Thanks, James. I finally was able to remove the forward sole over the tank after carefully cutting away some of the vertical edge trim. Now I can get to the tank's front wall and start absorbing the very small amount of diesel there.

And thanks to Coast-to-coast for the de oil it product. Will definitely give it a try.
Mark Richter, Ortona, FL
"Looking Glass", 2002 MV34, 75hp
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

we've had very good results with formula 88. it washes oil/grease off surfaces completely and breaks it down. you can get at home depot in fl, though not in ct, so i guess state law kicks in.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23